Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • how difficult  can it be? >
  • how difficult can it be?

• how difficult can it be?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM

how difficult would it be for me to quilt a stain glass wall hanging, i'd like to make a picture of the port dover lighthouse in canada for my SIL. but would it be to hard for a newbie, please advise. thank you for any comments
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 AM

if you either use the bias tape for binding or the raw edge applique on a solid background, you can have the edge stitching as your quilting...no need to do any more except in borders....so should be easy.
    Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM
    Power Poster

I say go for it!! When I was new, I tried a lot of different techniques :wink: and some I was told was too hard for a beginner... after I had done them LOL :D:D:D
    Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 AM

I think the raw edge applique idea mentioned up there with a good fusible backing like Steam a Seam or Heat and Bond on a black background would be super easy and just fine for a beginner. If you can cut and paste you'll do great! ;) Post pictures of your finished product please, it sounds like a beauty!
    Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 AM
    Power Poster

with stained glass you can get everything fused into place, put together your quilt sandwich and then stitch your leading...so your leading and your quilting are both done at the same time. then if you wanted to add some quilting to other areas it should be fairly easy to do. remember, if you have not quilted before you need to make a small practice piece and get the hang of what you are doing before jumping into your real project...everybody needs some practice in order to machine quilt
    Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    remember, if you have not quilted before you need to make a small practice piece and get the hang of what you are doing before jumping into your real project...everybody needs some practice in order to machine quilt
    Ppfffftooey Lol* (I say this with the lightest of heart! *hugs to you ckcowl*) Lol* This is probably good advice for many, but I'm a fan of diving right in there. Experiments are experience. I don't think if you use fusibles you will have much chance of getting overwhelmed and frustrated...which is why most people suggest you practice in the first place. The fusible bias tape adds some dimension but it's optional...you can still get a really neat stained glass look without it. I say just jump in there and go for it!

Here's a link to a site I found with lots of free stained glass patterns...maybe you could find something small to play with and see if you like the technique if you don't want to jump right in there and start with the lighthouse...

http://free-stainedglasspatterns.com/1set01.html

Good luck! ;)
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 AM

thank you for your comments, i'll start with something really easy, when i can find it lol