Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How difficult are Mckenna Ryan quilts to make?? >

How difficult are Mckenna Ryan quilts to make??

How difficult are Mckenna Ryan quilts to make??

Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM

Question McKenna Ryan Quilts

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I know!! That is where I was pondering buying from...but, I am like some of the others here...I like to use my own fabrics...(I really have a hard time justifying buying specialized fabrics when I have the size stash of fabrics I have...) And I really don't want to spend that much money for something that may not look right IF I don't buy her fabric...sigh...decisions, decisions....So, anyone have any pics where they made one of her patterns and used their own fabrics? I am leaning toward the wildlife, outdoorsy patterns...maybe if DH was not so nice, and would say, " Why are you buying more fabric?" I wouldn't have such a hard time deciding to buy more...but, he never says a word...I may get a little "smirk", and a big grin...but that is all...Hmmmm....blame hubby for my fabric "addiction", yeah, mmmhhhmmm.... :-P Well, thanks ya'll for your input, and any pics you know of!!
I was wondering if you ever found someone who did some of the McKenna Ryan quilts with their own fabrics?
I ordered some of her patterns but wanted to change the fabric colors a bit.
They look beautiful the way she has them.
I really want to do the Heaven and Nature Sing quilt but didn't know about how to finish the edges of all the appliqué.
If anyone has done one could you post a pic or link?
Thanks all!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM

I did! I bought the 3 kitty cats. My first ever applique, and it was SO easy. I did raw-edge applique with fusible (I believe that's how the patterns were written). I used a zigzag on the edges, with invisible thread, to try to avoid any fraying. I think usually raw-edge applique is just straight stitch near the edge.

Here are my quilts - you can decide if they look good with my own fabrics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]373447[/ATTACH]

ETA: Sorry about the double photo. I editted to add a larger image so you could see details, and now I can't get rid of the first attachment.
Attached Thumbnails p1060009.jpg   p1060009.jpg  

Last edited by kristakz; 10-30-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 AM

Holy wow...I love what you did...great job...I believe I have a couple of pattern of this designer...don't know which ones. But pretty sure I will never make them. I should just gift them so they can be used.

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
I did! I bought the 3 kitty cats. My first ever applique, and it was SO easy. I did raw-edge applique with fusible (I believe that's how the patterns were written). Here are my quilts - you can decide if they look good with my own fabrics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]373447[/ATTACH]

ETA: Sorry about the double photo. I editted to add a larger image so you could see details, and now I can't get rid of the first attachment.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful Kristakz! I bought a small kit. I fused and raw edged appliqued. It is so tedious I got bored with it. But I feel that way with most applique. I rather paper piece patterns, especially these: http://www.silverliningsoriginals.com/
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 AM

Oh MY!!! Thoses are just BEAUTIFUL btiny!! I would love to recieve anything by her. I keep asking for them on those important gift giving days like Mother's Day, My birthday and Christmas. In fact I have my request in for my birthday which landed on Black Friday this year. Wish me luck! Crossing my fingers but not holding my breathe. LOL.

Tricia
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 AM

I love McKenna Ryan's designs but have not attempted one...yet. I will say that the Kai scissors are the bomb! They are sharp and will produce a cut to the tip of the blade. I am currently working on an appliqué quilt that I'm using them for. I bought them about a year ago, and they are pricier than others but worth the investment.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I get so frustrated with guild members who won't buy the sharp new small scissors and keep using the old manicure scissors because they are 'still good'. Good for what? I always ask. I want to cut fabric not hack it to death.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by edeebeep View Post
I was wondering if you ever found someone who did some of the McKenna Ryan quilts with their own fabrics?
If anyone has done one could you post a pic or link?
Thanks all!
I'm just finishing 'Reaching Out'. Loved every minute of it! Mine is a lot brighter - not so 'antique-y' compared with the picture. I couldn't thread a sewing machine just over two years ago and it's my second appliqué project - first is my avatar.
It's night here now, so I'll post a pic tomorrow when I get daylight to photograph it.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM

Which Kai scissors do you recommend for small applique cutting work?

Nancy
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM

LOL I can't even remember when I got them... These are just the patterns NOT the kits. Hang on minute I will go see which ones I actually have roflol Whew back...I have the Loon Creek, http://www.backdoorgeneralstore.com/...?productid=559 and the Coffee Classics series which includes 4 individual patterns: Four Big Shots, Warm Up, Just Coffee, A Fresh Cup. Must have been having coffee withdrawls that day lol Here is the link to the Coffee Classic series https://pineneedles.com/SuperStore/S...ssortmentID=36

Originally Posted by Quercus Rubra View Post
Oh MY!!! Thoses are just BEAUTIFUL btiny!! I would love to recieve anything by her. I keep asking for them on those important gift giving days like Mother's Day, My birthday and Christmas. In fact I have my request in for my birthday which landed on Black Friday this year. Wish me luck! Crossing my fingers but not holding my breathe. LOL.

Tricia