Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Difficult Are.... >

How Difficult Are....

How Difficult Are....

Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 AM

Default How Difficult Are....

I found some cute McKenna Ryan blocks I would like to try. How difficult are her quilt blocks? Could an adventurous beginner be successful without overwhelming frustration? Thanks for your info. m
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 AM

I don't know which blocks you are referring to, but, I am a beginner and I have found that anything is possible. Just take it one piece at a time. If you get frustrated, just walk away. When you have calmed down and are ready to focus again, go get it! I wouldn't buy all the fabric for a full quilt just yet. Use your stash or buy a few fat quarters and try one block. If you get too frustrated, wait until you have more experience. If you find it easy, go for it. Good luck in whatever you decide. And, please, post pictures.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 AM

Post a link or something so that we can see what you are asking about. BUT my motto is NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED! Go for it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 AM

I have McKenna Ryan's "In Full Bloom" that was given to me as a gift, and I am not finished with it. I also finished one of the blocks from "Calling Me Home" as a gift. Here is what I believe.
I am what I consider an intermediate quilter, and I would consider most of her quilts a bit of a challenge.
I have seen her quilts done a little "sloppier" than others and I have seen them done with precision.
I am fairly picky, and I am a precision piecer where my stuff is concerned.
These quilts entail a lot of tracing work with a fusible interfacing, doing the fusing, some free edge quilting, and some free-motion quilting.
I think if you are patient, and diligent, you will be able to do these quilts. If you get frustrated, take a break, like many suggest with ANY quilt. Yes, they can be difficult, but the beauty of her designs, outdoes most of the frustration.
http://www.pineneedles.com/SuperStor...ssortmentID=42

Good Luck & Happy Quilting,
Susan
Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 AM

I am trying one of her quilt patterns..."Home Tweet Home".... There are so many tiny pieces to fuse together. I do not do needle turn applique', I do machine applique'...at this point I am having second thoughts about this. "WHAT WAS I THINKING?"
I have not given up, I am just not ready to tackle this project yet and I have been doing machine applique' for a long time. I'm thinking that Ms. Ryan has a lot more time on her hands than I do. LOL,LOL
I don't think her patterns, for the most part, are for the beginners....however, IMO, Make one block and see how it goes for you. You might really love this project....never say never and never say I can't do that! You don't know unless you try it!
At this point, I have switched over to "Affairs of the Heart" quilt to applique'...
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 AM

"I have seen her quilts done a little "sloppier" than others and I have seen them done with precision."

Now I really am afraid to try, I got a set of her patterns with the owls and was very excited to get it at a good price . I even bought batiks to do it with but have been so afraid to cut into them because I never buy those expensive fabrics. I dont want to waste all that money and have a sloppy quilt. Dang maybe I should sell them.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

all I can tell you is that NOW during the cold winter is the time to sit and trace out all of your parts...label baggies and put each section into its own bag! Then was your fabric, and get ready fuse and trace!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 AM

i would give one block a try it dosent hurt to try. and you could always do somthing else with the rest off the fabric if you decide you dont whant to finish.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM

I did an early pattern of hers. it was 3 trout placed vertically above each other. Can't remember the name. It was easy, not as complicated as some other of her patterns. I gifted it and it was loved. So, I made another of the trout (only one fish) for me and I love it too. Just try one block and see how it goes for you. Read through the instructions first, then read again, visualizing each step. You can do it if you want. Just don't say "I can't" and you will do it.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Give it a try, you can do anything you set your mind to!!!!