Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do i attach a walking foot >

how do i attach a walking foot

how do i attach a walking foot

Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM

hi every1---

this is my 1st time trying to use a walking foot-----i have a janome sew precise machine----and a walking foot c------i have no idea of how to attach this foot to my machine----can anyone tell me if there is somewhere i can go in cyberspace where i can actually see pics to illustrate how to do this----the directions on the box are not getting thru to me----or can someone give me step (baby steps lol!) by step directions---i'd really appreciate it .
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Usually there is a little hook type thing. That parts hooks onto the screw that holds your needle and then there should be a "regular" type of attchment same as all your other feet. I don't have a Janome but that's how they attached to my Bernina and Pfaff. Make sure you tighten your needle screw and check it now and then. I'm had it unscrew my needle and the needle fall out while sewing. When it hooks on your needle screw and the needle goes up and down, it moves the foot too, thus feeding the top fabric too.
I'd take a picture and show you but am at work at the moment.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM

thank u so much---i will try again
Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

If it's still a struggle to get it on, approach the needle with the foot from the right, hooking the little arm over the needle screw first. If things are tight, it might help to lower the feed dogs so that you can then ease it into place and attach it where you normally attach your feet. When it is in place, don't fortget to raise the feed dogs again, or it won't stitch properly!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Oh and by the way, welcome to the board from Southern California!!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

qw I have a Janome and I think I may know what your problem is. On the walking foot, on the right hand side (looking at it as it would be on your machine) is a little bar sticking out. When you screw the foot onto the foot bar (whatever that thing is called) you have to make sure that the little lever is sitting on TOP of the screw that holds your needle in. That is what makes the foot go up and down.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I have a Janome Gem and the walking foot for it has a lever on the right side that sits on top the screw that holds the machine needle in place.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Welcome quiltwhisperer. How are you coming with the walking foot? I have an older Janome. Make sure you use the thumb screw on the left to remove all the regular foot stuff, then the walking foot should fit around the post and the thumb screw. Just make sure when you bring it up from behind, that the lever goes on top of the screw for your needle on the right side of the post and then use the thumb screw on the left to tighten everything down securely.

Good and happy sewing! :lol:
Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM

thank u all for helping me with the walking foot----i just got a chance to put it on and it is working just fine, thanx to all of the help i received-------i really luv my new quilting family-----thanx again !!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Welcome and I am so glad you got your question answered. Have fun sewing.