Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I fix a border? >

How do I fix a border?

How do I fix a border?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 PM

I have a top pieced (at least it will be) that is approximately 38" square and I need the final measurements to be 40 x 52. How on earth do I accomplish this and have it look good? I have no more of the material that I made the quilt out of and don't have the money to go buy any. Helo?!?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM

ReRe,

Do you have any fabrics in your stash that will coordinate with the quilt fabrics? Things that would look good next to it? I would take some of that fabric and add top and bottom borders equaling 8" at the top and bottom, adn then add an inch (1") to each side before layering, basting, quilting and binding. This should solve your problem.

If straight, solid borders don't appeal to you, you could always: 1) applique something to the top and bottom border; 2) use multiple borders that would equal 8", sort of like a mat and frame around a photo; 3) make your top/bottom borders have long stretches of fabrics that are broken up by blocks that are like the piecing in your center.

There are other methods you can use, but sometimes a photo will help those here on the board to assist. If you can post one, you may get even more help.

Also, you don't indicate if you have any extra fabric left from your piecing. That can be used, too, to your advantage. You've just got to think "outside the box"; you'll come up with something!

Odessa
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM

well can you use some solid to match or post a picture and we can see if someone has what you need and will swap with you
post it and we will see

mema
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Here is a link to the post where I posted a picture of what I have done. the strip is 7 blocks long. The finished piece is going to be 7 x 7 with absolutely no way of getting any more matching fabric to use for the border. the finished piece needs to be 40 x 52.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38260-1.htm#837515
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM

I have found the perfect material to finish this blanket with and know exactly how to do it. Thank you all for your offers of help. Will be asking Admin to remove this post.