Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I hand Tie a Quilt?

I am rather new to this board, but love the huge amount of knowledge you all have!

And I have need to know how to hand tie a flannel child's quilt. I know to tie a square knot, but ..
    Is DMC floss the best to tie with? How about pearl cotton? Regular thread? Do I need to take into consideration the colors of the flannel (green & yellow) to choose the color of what I tie with? The batting said no further apart than 5", so how close should I tie? (I believe I will alternate the spacing of the ties in the rows.)

Any knowledge you can share would be so helpful!

Blog Entries
    Just to be safe, I would tie every 4" since 5" is the maximum.

DMC floss in a color not known to bleed looks nice, as does pearl cotton. Regular thread would probably not be strong enough. Yarn tends to curl and ball up.

As to the color? what ever is pleasing to YOUR eye :D:D:D

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love pearl cotton. I tied a quilt for my sis a long time ago and it still looks nice- the ties held up well :) I haven't used floss but I'm sure that is good too. Ditto on thread and yarn (no)

bj
    I usually tie them 4" apart and pick a DMC floss that coordinates with the quilt colors.

I use floss and I stagger the ties like laying brick about 4 inches apart.

Blog Entries
    I was taught to start with a tack stitch and then carry the thread (Floss) to the next line about hand-with apart for another tack stitch. Then trim the floss between the stitches and use the ends to do a square knot.

Another quilter makes a surgeon's knot.

Pam
    I tied one about 10 years ago using a square knot and they all are holding up fine. If I knew how to do surgeon's knot I would consider that, too.

Blog Entries
    I found a video and started a thread for us

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49045-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LastGrandma
    I am rather new to this board, but love the huge amount of knowledge you all have!

And I have need to know how to hand tie a flannel child's quilt. I know to tie a square knot, but ..
    Is DMC floss the best to tie with? How about pearl cotton? Regular thread? Do I need to take into consideration the colors of the flannel (green & yellow) to choose the color of what I tie with? The batting said no further apart than 5", so how close should I tie? (I believe I will alternate the spacing of the ties in the rows.)

Any knowledge you can share would be so helpful!

About embroidery floss - My mother made me a denim quilt a few years ago with bright different colors of embroidery floss tying it. They come untied all the time, and I sometimes sit and just rety them when I'm bored. Some have slipped out.

I'm not sure if it's due to the heavy denim, that it pulls the knots loose easily, or if it's the slippery floss, or the knot used (square knot, I think).

You can also tie with regular acrylic yarn, which is what I've seen the most in the quilts in my family. And I've never known one of them to come untied.

My mother (who always had a project in her hands when she sat down for any time ... knitting, crocheting, embroidery) always tied her quilts with knitting yarn. They have never come undone over many decades. I don't know what kind of knot she used, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast