Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do I Quilt my First Quilt? (Photo attached, too!) >

How Do I Quilt my First Quilt? (Photo attached, too!)

How Do I Quilt my First Quilt? (Photo attached, too!)

Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 AM

I love the fabric and colors. Be sure to post the finished quilt.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

you say that you have a "machine with some snazzy stitches" Are these regular embroidery stitches or designs that you would quilt with the embroidery module or larger motifs? You don't indicate which of these or whether you just want to use a decorative stitch to somewhat straight line quilt. This informatiokn would be helpful.
So in relaity, not all the pertinent information is here.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM

I am a beginning quilter and would love to see a picture of the finished quilt as I have trouble imagining the different results. Your quilt is very nice.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 AM

I would do simple squares in dark green thread. Just stitch all the way down vertically, then turn and do the same thing horizontally. Your quilt is gorgeous, btw. Wonderful fabric choices!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Lovely ! No one ever comments that although many machines have the fancy stitches you are not able to use many of them for quilting. ---WHY ? ----because if you need to use the walking foot you can not do all these stitches
when the walking foot is being used with backing and batting. Ask me how I know ? I tried to experiment but
think many times the Stitch in the Ditch works very well if you don't want to do free motion stippling.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM

I would do all over design . Love you quilt.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM

I think a verigated tan, brown thread with diagonal lines would look awesome

Old 09-27-2012, 03:51 PM

I just did a diagonal using blue painters tape as a guide. Very easy. Then a simple motive in the yellow squares. Maybe use a multicolored thread in the same colors.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
I would probably do a stitch in the ditch on the nine patches and continue those lines down and across so that the solid yellow blocks look like 9 patches also.
I was going to suggest this method. I just finished a large 9-patch on point & 2 bed runners not on point. Quilted one bed runner in the ditch & just continued the stitching right through the solid square. The colored thread makes it stand out on mine.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM

BEauty - Since this is your first and you may not be familiar with the Stitch in the Ditch - which is stitching right in the seam line of your two pieces - on the right side of the fabric. I might suggest practice on some scrap fabric sew some pieces together and try your hand at stitch in the ditch, also with your different stitches on the machine, find one you like and use that for your stitch in the ditch, one that will cross the seam line on both sides, that way rather than just stitch in the ditch, you won't be ripping out stitches, if you have problems staying in the seam line or (ditch) with your stitching. I don't have much of a problem with the SID, but I also like to add a little flair, so I often use one of my decorative stitches on my machine. This also looks good on the back. I too like the idea of varigated thread. That would really look nice. Be sure to post pic. when you are finished, and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. Now you are hooked, so have fun.