Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I quilt this? >

How do I quilt this?

How do I quilt this?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 PM
efa

Default How do I quilt this?

I just finished a "Whirly Gig" baby quilt, but I don't know how to quilt it. 2nd picture is the backing. Thanks for your help. Did I tell you I have only been quilting for 5 months.
Attached Thumbnails 100_4246.jpg   100_4247.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Great quilt! Well done - I will pass on the "how to quilt" question because I am a bit of a novice myself, but will be watching this thread to see suggestions. This board has some excellent contributors who give great advice and ideas. Love your quilt!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Very cute! Is that regular cotton for the back or Minky? Minky can be a little harder to work with. If you are just starting with machine quilting, perhaps just stitching down the seam lines in a grid pattern would work well. Use your walking foot and use spray basting to make the sandwich.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 PM
efa

Thanks to both of you.
Tartan, The backing is cotton fabric with a very small texture to it. I think your suggestion will work best for this quilt. Thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 10:56 PM

I personally find going down the seam difficult so I go Little to each side. I use my walking foot holes as a guide.
Don't forget to use the walking foot and begin in the middle and go outwards and try going in different directions.
Enjoy and relax,( glass of wine helps)
Only work in short stretches if it's first time ie 20 minutes and a. Break. This will cut down on aches and pains .
Old 05-08-2014, 03:04 AM

You did a beautiful job. I have been quilting for 40 years and I would not attempt to piece that. My favorite part of quilting is hand quilting. I do machine quilt, very basically, items meant for children.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:05 AM

wow fantastic
Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Very cute! Simple straight line quilting rows about one inch apart would be great on this and a good way for you to ease into quilting a top-which can be terrifying at first. I would just do horizontal OR vertical rows, not a grid on this one. Be sure to use your walking foot too!