Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do I sew the borders of a quilt on my Baby Grace frame?

How do I sew the borders of a quilt on my Baby Grace frame?

I just got a new Baby Grace frame and a Huskvarna sweing machine. Up til now I've been doing free motion quilting on my Bernina. With a frame I can't turn the quilt sideways to do the quitling on the verticle borders. Anyone out ther know a tutorial that shows how to do this?

The way I do the vertical borders is to turn the quilt and re mount the quilt on the frame. It's a little bit of a pain but it works.

or depending on what design you're doing, quilt, roll, quilt roll. i've done both and if it's larger than a baby quilt i find it's easier to turn the quilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltcamp View Post
    The way I do the vertical borders is to turn the quilt and re mount the quilt on the frame. It's a little bit of a pain but it works.
    this is what i do as well.
    Nancy in western NY

Why can't you turn the quilt sideways? I put small quilts on sideways to begin with--less rolling. Is your frame not wide enough to turn the quilt? If that is your issue--you could try folding your quilt and remounting it. This is what I plan to do for a king size top I have if hubby doesn't hurry up and extend my frame back out to 12' like he promised when we "temporarily" set it up at 10' 18 months ago!
    Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltcamp View Post
    yep, this is what I do, unless you want to do a little of the side at a time and then roll the quilt, which is a pain if it is a long border. You will have to try both ways to see what you like. enjoy your frame, I know you will.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

Borders are easy on a regular machine because there is no bulk in the throat.
    I just set up a long arm table with a strait stitch machine and will do the center of the quilt on this but will do my borders on my Sapphire.

Thanks for all the advise....I got sick with bad bronchitis just after I posted...I'll try your suggestions soon!