Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you achieve that elegant, yet hand-crafted look? >

How do you achieve that elegant, yet hand-crafted look?

How do you achieve that elegant, yet hand-crafted look?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:04 AM

I just try to do my best and they just naturally take on that quaint, 'she-really-needs-new-glasses' look. Many years ago, I'd re-do until a seam was perfect. Needless to say, I ended up with very, very nice but very, very FEW finished items . . . all accompanied by headaches! Now that I'm older, I still try to do my best but have accepted that my best is far from perfect . . . and I'm okay with that!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

If I can't fix a flaw, it is either left in or taken out depending on how bad. The last 2 bed coverings I got commercially are stored away. DH got up set because of what I paid. Less than $100.00 but they're never on the bed for very long. I won't get rid of them because they are neutral and work in our bedroom. Right now it's too warm and we only cover with a top sheet. I check the label to see where they're made. I'm not paying booqoo bucks for wonky stuff from a foreign country. Just so happen the 2 Ihave were made here. The next ones will be coming out of Texas!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 AM

I don't know if I ever want to buy anything like a comforter or bedspread ever again.

I can buy better sheets with the money I'll save

I haaaaate microfiber. I will not buy it. I'd rather get a set of real bedsheets from the thrift store for five bucks or less.

I love to stick it to the man by doing everything I can myself!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I achieve a pleasingly dorky/wonky/ home-made charm completely naturally without any conscious efforts. Probably the secret to my "very unique" look is to have bad lighting in my sewing room, leading me to think that the color I am putting together are a fabulous match. In good light, people always comment on my daring use of color, which I believe is a nice way of saying "wow -- that really doesn't go".
LOL!! I love this answer.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 AM

I always try to do my best, but sometimes I just haven't achieved that level and have to say it is good enough. I try and get my handmade looks from the personalization, if I know the individual it is being gifted to. In other words, the color, theme, pattern, etc. is a connection to them and something they will love. A hand made gift made especially with them in mind.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:07 AM

Obviously, these are not "flaws". They are "design elements". I love it when those straight lines are "interrupted". Do that a few times on a barn raising log cabin. Makes the quilt so much more interesting.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 AM

I Knit as well a quilt, and was told that if there is a mistake, that usually you are the only one who knows it and that a mistake shows it is hand made, not made by some machine. My knitting usually has a mistake in it, not intentional, and some of my quilts are not professional looking, but they are all welcomed. The person getting them does not see the mistakes, only I know they are there - as it should be.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Early in my quilting life, I heard or read somewhere that the Amish (who make absolutely wonderful quilts) always put a mistake into a quilt because "Only God is Perfect." Fortunately for me, I do not have to put in a mistake on purpose, as I can do that all by myself with no thought whatsoever. I've been told that I make beautiful quilts, which is a wonderful compliment; but what I think makes my quilts special is the love and care that I put into every quilt. I too cannot hand quilt because of arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome, but I find machine quilting on my domestic sewing machine satisfies that creative process.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 AM

Not me. I will never have to worry about perfection, I don't have it and never will. I just enjoy my hobby and don't let the mistakes bother me. I fix what I can and let the rest go. My quilts turn out ok but far from perfect and that is alright by me.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
Early in my quilting life, I heard or read somewhere that the Amish (who make absolutely wonderful quilts) always put a mistake into a quilt because "Only God is Perfect."
That story has been going around for a while. But it is not true. The Amish say they make enough mistakes, they don't have to make mistakes on purpose. And they say it with a laugh.
It's the Turks that put in what they call mistakes on purpose. We have a Turkish rug, and if you look closely, you can see how some small patterns are upside down according to the rest in the row. You don't see that until you look for it though. The whole rug is beautiful.