Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you all Quilt your Quilts? >

How do you all Quilt your Quilts?

How do you all Quilt your Quilts?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 AM

Hey everyone
thanks for all your great answers to my newbie Q's yesterday.... have several more - lol!! Almost done with my quilt from yesterday and will post pics when done. Will also post my ??'s separately to make easier to answer. I realize, for the experienced quilter, different quilts probably require/demand/want, different quilting methods. As a newbie quilter (mostly stitching in the ditch... i.e. finish a quilt in a weekend while kids pouncing on me) I havent experimented with many different types. For the quilt I'm finishing today I did meander quilt thru the main section and did some tighter (not sure if it's stippling) quilting along outer edge. What do you all like to do? What else could I do that doesnt take a ton of artistry (like freehanding flowers I'd imagine would be very time consuming and hard).

Also, with meander/stipple quilting, any suggestions on "tension" settings? I had this problem the first time I did it and ended up taking machine into shop where they suggested I adjust my tension but also use a different bobbin. Of course now it's been awhile and can't remember which bobbin they suggested. I have several places on back of my quilt (current one) where I need to rip out and fix stitching. It's too loose on back (fine on front). I tightened the tension and that seemed to resolve prob. Also there are times when I get a knotted mess on the back - what's that from? Sorry, as you can tell, I know just enough to be dangerous!! lol!! :) Thanks for any insight!!

Leigh
Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 AM

I've learned that sometimes it's all about the thread you use. Also you can stitch next to your seams on each side. I like that better than in the ditch. Mine go all wonky unless I go real slow for in the ditch.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 AM

I machine quilt on my domestic machine. Sometimes free motion, sometimes straight stitch especially diagonally thru plain squares. I have used decorative stitching in a very narrow border as well.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM

actually free hand flowers are not that hard it is just doodling----------i keep a schetch book handy so i can doodle or if i see something i think i could use for a pattern i can shetch it
Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by scrapsoftime
Also, with meander/stipple quilting, any suggestions on "tension" settings? I had this problem the first time I did it and ended up taking machine into shop where they suggested I adjust my tension but also use a different bobbin. Of course now it's been awhile and can't remember which bobbin they suggested. I have several places on back of my quilt (current one) where I need to rip out and fix stitching. It's too loose on back (fine on front). I tightened the tension and that seemed to resolve prob. Also there are times when I get a knotted mess on the back - what's that from? Sorry, as you can tell, I know just enough to be dangerous!! lol!! :) Thanks for any insight!!

Leigh
I'm fairly new a FMQ but here's what I've discovered so far. I was also getting loose thread on the back (I've heard it referred to as eyelashes) so I took a sample sandwich (muslin front and back and batting in the middle) and just practiced at different tensions until I got a tension that seemed right. I still get an eyelash or two but not as pronounced and I think it may be caused by my making a turn to quickly. Secondly, is the knotted mess on the back is when you start quilting? If it is, if you pull the bobbin thread up to the top before you start quilting that usually resolves that problem. You can then bury the threads in the sandwich later to hide the tails. I found if I tie a loose square knot with the two threads and either put both thread tails in a needle (or better yet use a self threading needle) then put the needle into the batting close to the knot and come out about 1/2" away and tug on the tails the knot will pop into the batting and hide. Hope this helps. Just keep at it. It gets easier the more you practice.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

When you get the rats nest, is your presser foot down? I have forgotten that step and had made some ugly nests before realizing it :roll:

I sometimes use decorative stitches when I don't feel comfortable with FMQ, or I am in a hurry and don't have time to unsew :lol: if I goof up.

Loops are fun, and if you start out with them looping around randomly, they will look really nice.

This site, has a different FMQ idea/design for every day of the year... I signed up and get notifications from her about once a week :wink: She has a lot of ideas and some are even simple enough for ME!!! :D:D:D

365 Days of Free Motion Quilting Filler Designs
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
Old 04-18-2010, 04:23 PM

This is a great link. Thank you.
I bought the pattern for the Rainbow Log Cabin, just beautiful!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for starting this thread, we all learn from each other
Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Although I love pieceing the quilt tops, I have not been brave enough to try machine quilting myself. For years I tied my quilts. Now I just prefer to quilt with my credit card. I send my tops to a lady in Wyoming who is a LAQ and she does a fabulous job at a reasonable price.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 PM

I have had trouble when I try to hurry too much. I have tried different things, like, meandering, hearts, leaves, flowers. It depends on the quilt. It tells me what it wants done. I just have to sit and wait for it to talk to me. No, I am not crazy! I made a wall hanging for my SIL in Arizona. I did cacti all around the border. It turned out that, that is exactly what it needed. Someday I will have to get some pics on here.