Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you bind with the 1/4" foot? >

How do you bind with the 1/4" foot?

How do you bind with the 1/4" foot?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Hi,

Just wondering when binding with your 1/4" foot do you sew onto the back and then pull it around and sew onto the front or are you able to sew it all in the one go? I was supposed to do a class on my machine but we only got enough time to do buttonholes and zips but I will be doing a binding soon and would like to know if I can sew the binding on in one go.

I know alot of people hand finish one of the sides but do many of you do the whole thing in one swipe?
Many thanks ;-)
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM

i sew mine on the back side first then turn it over and pull the binding over and sew again....i do not have the patience to hand sew my binding on...this is much faster and looks nice once you get the hang of it.... good luck
Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by luey0202
i sew mine on the back side first then turn it over and pull the binding over and sew again....i do not have the patience to hand sew my binding on...this is much faster and looks nice once you get the hang of it.... good luck
This is what I do also. I often use decorative stitching to sew it on the front. Looks cute and is much sturdier than hand sewing.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Ahhhh so you can't sew the back and the front at the same time???? Talk about wanting to cut corners!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

I machine sew it onto the front of the quilt and then fold it over and hand stitch it onto the back.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Yes, you can sew the back and front at the same time if using a binding foot attachement.
Tammy
Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

To answer your question.
Theorically you might be able to. HOWEVER.......consider these thoughts and imagine you were using the 1/4" double fold bias tape. I thought of the tape as it would be already folded at 1/4". I am also assuming you are using one of the 1/4" feet that doesn't allow you to move your needle other than perhaps one click.

You would have to take extra care in making sure the edge of the quilt was firmly and completely pushed inside the binding otherwise you might not catch the quilt inside the binding.

You would need to be able to move the needle to the right so you would catch the edge of the binding. However, I don't believe the binding would alighn itself the same width on the back as it would on the front.

It might be easier if you used 3/8" folded binding and had the wider foot made for some machines that had the side guide. Viking made such a foot but am not aware the other brands have done the same.

You have posed an interesting question and I'm just trying to visualize how it might work.

If I wanted to do this, then I would consider purchasing one of the binding feet made by the machine companies that are set up especially to do both sides at the same time.

I have two such feet. One of the early ones made for Bernina (which John Flynn swears by) and the second by Marteli (which I have not used.

All the older machines (pre 1960) had a binding foot.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm just thinking out loud or rather with my fingers about this question. It intriegues me.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I use the walking foot to attach the binding.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I have never had success trying to sew binding on both sides together. Typically you want to sew it on to one side, then turn the binding and sew the other side. If you want to do both sides by machine, here are my favorite Youtube videos (by Leah Day) on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5...7&feature=plpp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related

You don't absolutely have to use a walking foot as she does, but it helps. Starching the binding fabric heavily before cutting the binding strips also helps.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by luey0202
This is what I do to!