Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you buy your batting? >

How do you buy your batting?

How do you buy your batting?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I use to buy the larger roll of Hobbs Batting 80/20 (30 yds) but now I like the smaller 15 yard roll but haven't been able to find it for sale anywhere. My local JAF doesn't seem to carry it anymore in So CA. Buying it the bag is always a problem trying to remove the wrinkles. They roll it up instead of nicely folding like W&N.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I wish I had space for a roll, because it's probably the best way to use it without ending up with a bunch of narrow leftovers. But I have a tiny house and mostly buy Queen size packages of Hobbs 80/20.
I also live in a very small house, so I have to get creative: Meet Mr. Batting!

I keep my roll in a closet, but right now I'm busy cleaning out all the batting pieces and piecing them for use. He'll go in the closet soon--once I take off the outer plastic wrap, he will expand.

I decided that since he was living in my living room, I'd try to make him a part of the family. He looks big and bulky, but he's a softie at heart. He gives and gives, even as I take and take.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0530.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 06:49 PM

Interesting that few of the posts mention the QUALITY of the batting, only the price. Rub some swatches of different brands between your fingers. Try warm & natural, Fairfield products, Hobbs & dream cotton. When you figure out which is the softest, smoothest, most drape able batting (my favorite is Dream Cotton), stock up when it's on sale at the LQS. Piece leftovers together for smaller projects. Use leftovers for quilt as you go this way you can save $ w/o sacrificing quality. And tiny scraps are great for dusting, removing nail polish & cleaning the dogs' ears
Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I use all types of the Hobbs batting. I buy it in the package by size. It's easier for me to store it in individual packages.

AngeliaNR, love your sense of fun!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 AM

I buy by the roll online. The last time I got lucky and got free shipping on a roll of Dream Wool.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:20 AM

Buying by the rolll would be great for several reasons, but that limits you to one kind of batting. I make all kinds of quilts, with some needing the flatter and cooler 80/20 type and some needing the warmth or loft of poly. So I buy it by the bag, usually Hobbs from Connecting Threads when it is on sale.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I also live in a very small house, so I have to get creative: Meet Mr. Batting!

I keep my roll in a closet, but right now I'm busy cleaning out all the batting pieces and piecing them for use. He'll go in the closet soon--once I take off the outer plastic wrap, he will expand.

I decided that since he was living in my living room, I'd try to make him a part of the family. He looks big and bulky, but he's a softie at heart. He gives and gives, even as I take and take.
Oh, I like Mr. Batting. He looks so friendly!!

Dina
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 AM

I live in a camper, so room is precious. I quilt a lot and take advantage of sales. Connecting Thread has sales for 30% off & that's when I stock up. Sometimes I even get the free shipping if I need something else! Works well for me!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I buy 90% off the roll. When I did the 2 queen and 1 king quilts I bought packaged so I wouldn't have to piece them. I'm also a coupon shopper and only buy when it's on sale or I have a 50% off coupon.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 PM

Do you buy your batting roll from the store or online? My store will only sell the roll using a pay by the yard amount?