Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you buy your stash? >

how do you buy your stash?

how do you buy your stash?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Anytime I walk into a store and it is on sale or if I decide "I have to have it"! Once a week I go to thrift stores also and look. I have found some real bargins.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM

so when you just buy what you like, how much do you usually buy? 1 yard? 5?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Depends on what size quilts your likely to make. I don't make anything larger than lap size or twin, so 3 yrs. of main fabric is usually enough. Then maybe a yd. or 2 of coordinating fabrics. Currently I shop in my closet, but I used to make the rounds to the LQS sales before the went out of business.

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Oh no, I am sure you are not alone.
I try not go fabric shopping very often because if I see something I really like----oops, there goes at least 3 yards off the bolt into my shopping bag.

I also like to finish the bolt---so I have been know to buy 6 yards if I really really like it and the bolt is close to the end.
I restrain myself pretty well these days.
What helps me is if I am shopping online, I go ahead and put it in my cart--then when I see the total--YIKES---I delete all the items. Silly, huh?
chris
Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM

My stash has taken years to build up. The way I started was to pick up fat quarters of different colors, from light to dark, when I saw what I liked. I do mostly scrappy (controlled scrappy) quilts and a lot of applique (with several shades of one color in a flower, for example) so small pieces has worked great for me. When I start a new quilt, I usually only have to buy the background fabric and borders. If you do quilts with just a couple of fabrics in them then you would need to buy bigger pieces. Often I will see a fabric that I know I will use for a border or background, then I will buy more.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Depends on how much money I have and the price of the fabric.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:24 PM

I just have a love affair with fabric!!! I have a tendency to just buy fabric for no purpose or reason, other than I love it! I don't have a lot. I would say my stash is very small when compared to most quilters. I think with the prices of cotton fabrics going up, I will really add to my stash when I can.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

My first real stash started at the AQS show in Paducah many years ago. We went to Hancock's for the first time and we all went wild!!!!!!
Now, it just started multiplying as I slept, much like many others on the board have said :D:D
Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
kbs

I buy some that I just can't live without, a little more than I need of most purchases and some just for backgrounds and fillers.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM

My stash is pretty small, but it happened by accident. I buy fabric for a specific purpose (usually). If I later decide I don't really want to do that project, so the fabric is added to the stash. Of course, since I have plans for that fabric (even though I may not remember what that purpose was any more), I can't use it. I do break that rule from time to time, but not often enough.