Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind?? >

How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind??

How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind??

Old 07-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

I use the Go Log Cabin die. Worth it's weight. When I have scraps that fit any of the log lengths, I cut the logs and sort by color and size. Perfect for string piecing too.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM

I have made a few log cabins and have found that cutting the logs to size I end up with square blocks all of the same size. When you sew the blocks on to a long strip and then cut, they don't always come out the same size. To me it is worth the time to pre cut. JMHO Ann
Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 PM

I've only ever used Eleanor Burns' method. Love the simplicity of it.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I think your main problem is that your cutting table is too low. You shouldn't be leaning over to cut. I use Judy Martin's method, and I use silverware trays (as she suggests) to organize the strips. You actually have more cutting to do when you use strips and trim them after sewing.

This is my thread from the first log cabin quilt I made - shows the silverware tray organization.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...in-t23612.html
Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 PM

dunster, yes, I am pretty sure my cutting area is a few inches too short. My feet bother me if I don't wear my athletic shoes most of the time and they add about 1.5 inches to my height. However, when I am sitting at the same table, I have my office chair raised to its highest position so I don't really want to raise the table.

You must have purchased your organization trays from the Dollar Store. I have a handful of the thin long ones and have some of my logs in those. I bought them a few years back. I wish I had seen the wider ones. Those look to hold 3 strips across. That is a great system. I will have to drop by the Dollar Store soon to see if they still have these.

I am almost done with the starch, press, cut and sort. Just 15 more FQ to go and I can dive in. Hopefully, I will finish that tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM

I use Elenore Burns method of sewing and cutting. You do have to be careful you don't stretch the fabric as you're sewing or you will end up with different size squares. If you cut the strip and then sew this stretching is eliminated since you are making the strip fit the square. Each method has it's advantages.

I made a complex log cabin as far as color and size of logs were concerned and I drew a master and numbered the logs. I kept that in front of me for reference when I was putting my squares together. It sure made a difference in my sanity. I could also leave in the middle and come back and not have to wonder where I was because I could count the rows and match my master. Make a master with each piece numbered and then number your color strips. That should ease things.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post

You must have purchased your organization trays from the Dollar Store. I have a handful of the thin long ones and have some of my logs in those. I bought them a few years back. I wish I had seen the wider ones. Those look to hold 3 strips across. That is a great system. I will have to drop by the Dollar Store soon to see if they still have these.

I've had them so long I can't remember where I got them, but it might have been Walmart.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:26 PM

Yes, Accu-Quilt has a die that cuts a Log Cabin pattern for a 12 inch quilt block with strips that are 1.5 inches wide. Check it out on the "accuquilt.com" web site and look up die number 55349. I have the "GO" and I love it.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:06 PM

I went to the Dollar Store and bought plastic silverware trays to put my different size logs into. You can buy individual trays or the trays that would hold forks, knives and spoons. The Log cabin is one of my favorite patterns, and I have made several, these trays help me to keep things organized. Snake River is the next one on my list.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM

use a june tailor shape cut plus ruler.......you'll never go back to cutting strips the regular way again.....lol