Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to make next? >

How do you decide what to make next?

How do you decide what to make next?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

As I buy things if they are for a specific quilt I ribbon them together with the pattern and put them in packages I save from shower curtains, curtains, etc. When I finish something and can't decide what next I have my daughter who lives with me get one. She doesn't quilt so doesn't have that what next mentality. She just plucks one off the shelf.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Right now my list is based on obligations. BUT THEN - I have a long list of what I want to do. What makes me decide? When the pattern speaks to me and at the same time I KNOW which fabric would be perfect for that pattern.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I have made a crib quilt, working on another, another planned for oldest Granddaughter's friend. Then she has a friend getting married in Sept., going to make them a quilt also. Usually I just make whatever appeals to me.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:19 AM

I look through magazines and books (or go to the kits I have) and it's whatever catches my eyes. I find a pattern and go through my fabric to see if I have enough without going to the store.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 AM

Anytime I buy fabric for a project, I wrap it all together, along with the pattern and put it away. When I am ready for a 'next' project, I just take one off the shelf and its ready to start cutting
Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 AM

I need to finish my summer King size bed quilt (kit). I have friends working on Halloween items. Too hot to even think about Christmas and need to start some baby items due in Jan. Lots of things on the list.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 AM

I think and day dream..then get out graph paper and start working on a design..or look through all my mags and pick one that interests me !!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

1st I have to do Candlequilter's Star, so she doesn't think that I am a complete flake. Then I have four lap quilts to finish for Christmas. I am trying to keep up with two BOM (Houses & Stars). I am also trying to get together some extra quilting supplies and crafts to send to a lady in NewYork. This week as my DGD (10yrs) was helping me sort my stash she keep ooohing and aaahing over different fabrics, so now I have to make her some summer dresses. Sometimes there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. Oh yes I guess I also need to do my regular living things like clean. It wouldn't hurt me too much to forego that part. My DH does say just make sure that he has a path to the bed, but I also need a path to the bathroom. Good luck to everone with their projects. BrendaK
Old 07-02-2011, 04:05 AM

Right now I'm working on a quilt and a floor pad for DH's baby due in September - deadline for me is the 15th.
But after that I have blocks for 3 quilts done and ready to be assembled. I lean towards anything that's based on strips. I cut my scraps into strips and various size blocks keeping them sorted into their various scrap boxes. Guess i like scrapy quilts!
Old 07-02-2011, 04:08 AM

with the doll quilt for july coming up thats my first project, I am looking at my excess fabric and wondering what to do with it, I am running over. so I have made a list of things to make/create, which I do see christmas around the corner, a couple of birthdays and so on.
1.doll quilt
1a. pincushions for those 1"-2" pieces I have , oh and discovered, cat toys!!! the ones you can put the catnip in!!
so #2 cat toys
#3 mug rugs
#4 placemats/coasters
#5 table runner. maybe
#6 pillows
#7 lap quilts to give away.
theres probably more, but thats a start.
#8 bibs for the seniors

Somewhere i there, to crochet preemie hats
crochet bookmarks, baby blankets, Christmas ornaments,
towel toppers, and more, so I have a lot to do between now and say Christmas