Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs? >

How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs?

How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Good for you to show your quilts at the fair and allowing people to enjoy your work! I wish you could hear the speaker that we had recently at our quilt guild. Her name is Lola Jenkins and if you can look her up or ever have a chance to see her, she is great! But one of the things she talked about was a "lady" who always rained on her parade when she was a new quilter and had the nerve to actually show her quilts. She has such a funny take on this type of person and has risen so above that type of person, very inspirational! Sounds like we may have a couple of those rainy people right here on this board! To each his own! I'm just trying to enjoy.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:03 PM

I think it is a wonderful honor to put your quilts into a fair......don't let the silly old negative Nellies tell you any different.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I think local fairs are a great venue for showing quilts. I always check out the facilities before entering to make sure the display area is secure and clean and I am always thrilled to find a ribbon on my quilt. Even if I don't get a ribbon I like to support my local fair by participating. She's just a jealous party pooper.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Congratulations on your ribbon. You should be proud. Thanks for sharing your achievement with your friends here on the quiltingboard.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM

We don't have a fair in our little town. But we do have a festival! Our local quilt guild has put on a show the last few years. It is nothing fancy. The public does the voting. Such as overall favorite; most colorful; Which one we think was the hardest to do....ect...all in fun and we get to see such beautiful work from some wonderful quilters. Some are even old quilts passed down in families. Just to show pride and history. If we can not show our work with pride I guess we can't post them on here? Or show them at our guilds? CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WONDERFUL ACCOMLISMENT!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

one might even ask where is her ribbon? or was she too scared to enter incase she didnt get one and you did! congratulations on your win.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM

If you get right down to it.... weren't local fairs really the first "Quilt Shows" before there were more formalized quilt shows?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 PM

Just ignore her. That's why I'm not in a guild anymore. I've entered quilts at our county fair and been proud of the ribbons I've won.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
If you want other people to see your work, fine. But the judges know next to nothing about quilting-----------they're chosen for who they are, not what they know. So if you are looking for a fair critique------------don't enter quilts here.
s

WOW! GrannieAnnie that's a LOT of assumptions there!

Maybe that's what you think happens ... but I tend to think that you are way off course on this one. And it would appear that many of the other posters disagree with your assumptions as well.

I enter my quilts at the Fairs. It's a thrill just to see them hanging there. If I win a ribbon, then great!! If not, I still have the opportunity to learn from the other quilts around and to gain more inspiration.

No, we don't always agree with the Judges decision(s) ... that's the nature of the situation, being that we don't get to talk to them one-on-one. We can still learn from our own observation and yes, somewhat judging them too ... I try to walk away with a new technique I want to try or studying other entries to see why mine placed where they did.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 PM

I have not entered a quilt in a fair, but love to see them. This year the skill range that was represented ranged from beginner to exceptional. Next year I may have something to enter.