Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 05-23-2015, 02:59 PM

I am extremely particular about caring for my quilting books (and all books). I lent a soft cover book to a friend and she told me that she had put it in a plastic cover to keep it clean. Was I horrified when she returned it still in the plastic cover but folded back with the spine broken so it would fit.

I will lend things at a class but have my items clearly named and I keep a close eye on where they are.

I can't afford to replace my quilting tools so am very particular about who uses them.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:30 PM

I am as possessive about my quilting supplies, tools, etc., as my husband was with his tools in the cabinet shop he owned for many years. After a bad experience, he put up a sign, illustrated, that said "I'd rather loan you my cat than my tools. My cat will come back." I think that says it all!

Jeanette
Old 05-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Ladies, I have posted on this thread previously, but this is so much like an incident I experienced. I had someone tell me, well, you've got a nice house, don't you think I should have a nice house, too. My response to this is, yes, I have a nice house, the main reason being I've worked my fanny off to have this house. If you want a nice house, you need to do the same thing. I worked for more than 40 years before I got this house! My husband, son and I all worked very hard to be able to get this house. I feel the same way about my quilting tools, sewing machines, etc. I won't be a lender because I cannot afford to replace something that someone else either doesn't return or destroys! I cannot understand the mentality of anyone who thinks because you have something, you can replace it when she tries/succeeds in borrowing something and either destroys it or fails to return it! Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now!

Jeanette
Old 05-23-2015, 04:52 PM

I am more than willing to let someone go through my stash and take fabric if I don't have it saved for a project (I have more than I can use in my lifetime). If someone is sewing at my house, they can borrow the tools, but the tools stay at the house. I have a machine that I have let folks use in a pinch, but again it is at my house (I thread the machine and change the bobbins). Like many folks here, I can't afford to replace my machines or my tools but I don't mind sharing if someone is at my house to sew.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:08 AM

I will lend my quilting friends anything I have...I even allowed a lady I didn't know in a class last year to use my brand new very expensive sewing machine...I felt sorry for her ...all was fine...but I know that not everyone likes too and that's ok too...
Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I went to a workshop last Tuesday and the Block Loc strip ruler was recommended by the instructor. She wasn't selling them or had any ties to them. Another member and I were the only two that had the Block Loc. The others said it was too expensive and wasn't necessary. Wasn't long into the cutting part that the "May I borrow your Bloc Loc" started. The other member was much nicer then me. She was loaning her's out and ended up having to wait to get her own ruler back to cut her strips! The instructor said she didn't loan out her teaching tools, yeah for her.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 PM

If I'm in a class or quilting circle & don't need something, I will share. I have been blessed to be helped by others when I didn't have everything I needed and am happy to pay it forward. I don't think I would share my machine, though. It took quite a lot of time to figure out how to properly use it so that's probably the one thing I wouldn't share (and I definitely refused to share my freshly sharpened Gingher's with someone who didn't understand why I asked to borrow a pair of paper scissors from a classmate to cut pattern pieces).

I share certain supplies with my nieces when they come over. They are adorable & only 2 and 3 years old so obviously they don't have their own stuff. They're helping design a little receiving quilt for their baby brother/cousin. So cute!

I would not lend out my supplies for someone to take with them. It's too hard to keep track of them & there's no way I'd know if they were caring for them the way I care for my stuff.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 PM

When at my house they can use anything but my rotary cutter and seam ripper. I think a rotary blade gets used to the user and someone else comes along with a slightly different touch or angle and it never seems as sharp. As far as seam rippegoes, I need it close at hand! Plus it came with my Viking and I think it is sharper.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 PM

If my girls wanted to borrow anything- it is theirs - BUT I just do not lend sewing machine, vacuum or much of anything - ha - learned the hard way that no one takes care of your stuff as well as you do
Old 09-07-2015, 12:49 PM
sap

I've never loaned but the one time I did the person passed and I never got it back.