Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you find a pattern for Pinterest quilt? >

How do you find a pattern for Pinterest quilt?

How do you find a pattern for Pinterest quilt?

Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 AM

Default How do you find a pattern for Pinterest quilt?

Pinterest boggles my mine. I have not figured out the use for it yet. I surfed and found a quilt I want to make but can't find the pattern. How do you know if a pattern is even available? I just don't understand Pinterest.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't "get" Pinterest.

A recent discussion about Pinterest
Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Does it state the name of the pattern? If so, you could Google it and try to find it that way. If not, you could maybe link it here and see if anyone recognizes it and get the name that way.

Watson
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

sometimes if you hold your cursor over it or when you click on the pic itself it might say where it was from. a site online. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Do you see a "visit" button under the picture? You might need to scroll down a bit to see it. Click on that and it will take you to a website. Scroll down the website and see if you can find the information you need.

edit: okay, let me back up a bit. If you are on a whole page of pictures, click on the one you are interested in. That will take you to a larger photo of that picture with additional information. Sometimes the website of origin is listed below and to the left of the photo. This is where you scroll down to see the "visit" option.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-14-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:35 AM

If a picture doesn't lead you to a site, keep scrolling and you may see the photo again. Sometimes it's the second or third one that leads somewhere.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Pinterest used to be a great tool. It was wonderful for bookmarking things because everything was pictures instead of words, so it was easy to see what you were looking at. However, 2 things have happened that makes it more annoying than helpful:

1) Lots of websites hopped on the "Pinning" bandwagon to increase their click counts, which in turn increases their ad revenue. These websites are, in my opinion, not ethical, because they post pictures from other people's websites and then pin these pictures to Pinterest, so that when you see something you like and click on it, it takes you to their website and not the original website. Most sites that do this are able to get away with it by writing a short article about the item and also posting a (usually hard-to-spot) link (usually in small font) to the original website.

2) Pinterest also started trying to make money, so the pins are interspersed with ads. It's kind of creepy because of all the browser tracking that goes on. My husband will look up hunting gear or parts for one of our vehicles, and the next thing I know, those items are showing up in MY Facebook feed or on Pinterest.

One of the things I do that helps me find the true "original" location of a certain pin is to search by image. Trace it back as far as you can go, then click on the image, drag it to your search bar, and enter. Then click "search by image". That will usually pull up all the sites that have that image posted. The only time this doesn't work is when the original website is defunct.

If you post a link to the quilt you're looking for, there are a bunch of good amateur sleuths here that would be happy to help look for the pattern!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, Peckish. I didn't know about search by image. Googled it (lol), discovered how to do it at images.google.com, and also discovered I could add a "google by images" extension to the Chrome browser I use to make it even easier.

Happy dance here!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Thanks, Peckish. I didn't know about search by image.
You're welcome, glad I could help!

Now, if someone could explain what good Twitter is to me....
Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
Pinterest boggles my mine. I have not figured out the use for it yet. I surfed and found a quilt I want to make but can't find the pattern. How do you know if a pattern is even available? I just don't understand Pinterest.

I agree, I have the worst time with Pinterest ... Boston Mom