Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you get the fabric into the....

How do you get the fabric loaded into the tip (specifically the 1 1/4" tip) to make the bias tape in the Simplicity machine. I have been messing with this for hours and still can't figure it out. Even looked online for a demo and couldn't find one. Help!!

Blog Entries
    When I saw it demoed, they folded to make a point and just kind of pushed it through.

bj
    They were using one on F and P the other day, I think, and she had the end you feed in first cut at a pretty good angle so it was sharper. And she had to get "hold" of it with a pinpoint to guide it all the way out.

Blog Entries
    Aside from cutting the end into a sharp point as mentioned, it helps to heavily starch the fabric before trying to thread it through -- takes away that annoying limpness......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    They were using one on F and P the other day, I think, and she had the end you feed in first cut at a pretty good angle so it was sharper. And she had to get "hold" of it with a pinpoint to guide it all the way out.
    ditto

I have the clover bias tape makers, but they are very much like the attachment of the simplicity. I used a tooth pick in the top notch portion to slip the fabic down into the inside.

Here is a video of someone doing the same thing in a "Simplicity demo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3ouhsqK6M

I use a square edge and push it through with the help of a straight pin or seam ripper.It worked for me after a few tries...good luck!

Blog Entries
    I use the point of a seam ripper to push the fabric through. It helps to starch the fabric end very stiff. The 2 1/2" strip of fabric took me forever to get loaded but when I was at Paduacah quilt show last year I asked the Simplicity vendor to show me how to do it and I did it with her watching me. Just use any sharp point to get the fabric out the other end and then pull it until it folds right, then pull it back to the beginning end.

I cut the end at an angle,then use a pin to pull the point thru

This is the way I do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast