Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how do you hand quilt?

Is the stitch that is done on hand quilting just a running stitch? and you try to keep then all the same size or is it another kind of stitch. Thank you

Blog Entries
    yep, it's a simple running stitch. You should try to keep the stitches small, but that takes practice.

More important than tiny and small stitches are eveness. For me 8 even stitches per inch look better than 14 uneven...

Today quilters mostly use a simple running stitch. But especially on quilts of former centuries a backstitch was very often used.
    A wonderful example of backstitch quilting can bee seen on the Tristan quilt (Victoria & Albert Museum in London) made in the 14th century.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I took a hand quilting class years ago and still stink at it. LOL* I do the running stitch you mention, but we were taught to use a "rocking stitch" to start off each stitch or line of stitches and I never did get the hang of it...but of course I don't practice much. The rocking stitch is supposed to help ensure that first stitch goes through all three layers of your quilt sandwich and is just as nice and even as the ones on top. (Mine were never any kind of even though and I can tell you I often only made one or two stitches every couple of inches that actually went ALL the way through all three layers. Needless to say I'm probably NOT the person you'd want to go to for lessons! Lol*)

Pumpkinpatchquilter,
    I also tried the rocking stitch - but it doesn't work for me either. My stitches are quite uneven when I load several stitches on my needle and I am not satisfied with the result. For that reason I only do single stitches (not stab stitching, I don't pull out the needle on the back).

The rocking method does work, but you have to do it a lot to get thehang of it, I work with a long 10 needle and get about 3-4 stitches on at a time , I have to wear a rubber cot t grab the needle or my fingers get major sore. I can't put those 14 on the needle at once, I get by with 7 to 8 per inch. I am not entering any contest with mine, just made with lots of love for people I love.

Blog Entries
    I use a running stitch. I also cheet a little, I run my three layers of fabric/batting/fabric through the sewing maching without any thread using a jeans/denim or leather needle. It really helps with the spacing. I only hand stitch lap size or smaller.

it is a running stitch with the stitches even top and bottom--same size on front and back. some people do a stab stitch, where you make one stitch at a time, others load up their needle with 5-10 stitches at a time. takes some practice getting a rhythm.

I've been learning hand quilting, and today I found a little tutorial that seems to explain it well.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=7627

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    I've been learning hand quilting, and today I found a little tutorial that seems to explain it well.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=7627
    Thank you....i like this tutorial and will use it to try hand quilting!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast