Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you incorporate machine embroidery?

Blog Entries
    I've been quilting only a year and made 3 quilts. The last 2 had ME redwork. My posting in the picture area brought several questions. I was pretty clueless on how to incorporate the embroidery into the quilting and just winged it. I can see that if i just had a motif, i would embroider it on a plain fabric block and piece it in, but how do you do the embroidery with the batting in a quilt? My DH is Japanese and I have a set of sashiko quilt designs and would like to make a quilt but am unsure how to proceed. Thanks for any tips you can provide

I'd be intersted as well...

There are quite sashiko designs for sale. Google sashiko machine embroidery designs. I actually have a few I got for free. And I know Ann Goodesign has some for sale.

I did one using the fun and done method and it was super cute and easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I like to do a small motif all around on a border. Also have done a large motiff that incorporated the bottom corner of the quilt across a number of blocks.

Blog Entries
    You can also google Quilt in a Hoop and google the Japanese quilt block designs. I have collected several quick block designs for use whenever I finally get started on my quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I've been quilting only a year and made 3 quilts. The last 2 had ME redwork. My posting in the picture area brought several questions. I was pretty clueless on how to incorporate the embroidery into the quilting and just winged it. I can see that if i just had a motif, i would embroider it on a plain fabric block and piece it in, but how do you do the embroidery with the batting in a quilt? My DH is Japanese and I have a set of sashiko quilt designs and would like to make a quilt but am unsure how to proceed. Thanks for any tips you can provide
    I'd start out with a sampler before jumping into a big quilt to put it into practice. If you wanted the authentic sashiko look it probably wouldn't be realistic to do on machine because there is a little bit of spacing between each stitch in sashiko (to my knowledge). Its usually done by hand, though I have heard of a sewing machine that's supposed to replicate the look of hand stitching.

http://www.purlbee.com/sashiko-tutorial/ Here's a tutorial on sashiko stitching.

Born & raised in Upper Micigan, transplanted to central Wisconsin the last 31 yrs.
    Another possibility is to stitch out the block(s) you want to use with the designs, then use those block(s) in the quilt. If you do it that way, then use those block(s) as the main focal point of the quilt. I would use some thin batting behind them to give it a slight puffy rich look to it.

If you want to do the designs for other smaller border pieces, again, stitch them out and then use them as the you would use in the border.

The main idea here is to stitch out your designs, then cut them down to the size you need, and you will then eliminate any potential hoop burn or distortion of the fabric.

I hope I haven't confused you?

Born & raised in Upper Micigan, transplanted to central Wisconsin the last 31 yrs.
    Whoops.....

Chalk this up to being new and not sure what I am doing.

:oops:

Blog Entries
    [quote=Flying_V_Goddess]
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess

http://www.purlbee.com/sashiko-tutorial/ Here's a tutorial on sashiko stitching. [/color]
    The tutorial is the same as the Sasiko I started. I bought mine at a Quilt Show, it was a pre-printed whole cloth. It was quite expensive at the time, but, the lady that was tending the booth was very informative on this type of stitchery. It would be interesting to know if there was a machine for this because it would be alot easier than hand stitching.
    Actually, I was just searching the various machines and guess what! Babylock does sell a SASIKO MACHINE. Awesome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast