Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU judge quality of hand-sewn goods? >

How do YOU judge quality of hand-sewn goods?

How do YOU judge quality of hand-sewn goods?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 AM

That's a good way to put it - below your level of skill. But that would mean your level of perfection, or maybe a better word is expectation?

Gifts from special people don't fall into my question. As far as those, if they take the time to make something for me I'm going to love it!

It's like this: my handmades aren't going to be as good - as perfect - as some of these on this board or those who win best in show or mag covers or awards - but I don't aspire to be that proper, either. I expect offness, or wonkiness, and agree that's part of the charm. I wouldn't think it handmade if it wasn't.

I just wondered if your standards became higher when purchasing than when creating, or if the reverse happens - you expect your definition of perfect in what you sew but are more forgiving when buying from others.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 AM

Old quilts and tops just seem to jump to me! My kiddos always said that I purchased the ugliest in the batch..not so, I call them unique. Unusual color combos or fabrics really catch my eye. I wish they all came with their story attached. I use to tell kiddos somebody's Mama made this to keep her family warm and that alone makes it valuable to me.

Newer things I look at stitching, points, etc but that doesn't stop me from buying something that is appealing. It is usually just for inspiration and in admiration for the talent and patience involved. No judgement at all!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 AM

I grew up in the world of artists and craftsmen so that may have influenced my thinking somewhat, but I look for and expect excellence, not perfection, in any handcrafted item I purchase, sell, or gift. Doesn't matter what it is…paintings, pottery, jewelry, quilts, whatever. If I'm going to offer/take money for it or gift it to someone, it must exhibit the pride of the artist in his work from start to finish; design, execution and packaging. For me, mismatched seams and cut off points are not charming; they are basic construction flaws...thus deal breakers. I wouldn't buy a mug with a crooked handle either.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:59 PM

I want what I pay for.

What is it for?
How will it be used?
How long do I expect it to last?
Might any memories get attached to it?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 PM

I buy handmade things at craft fairs all the time. I may notice the "quality" but that is of little consequence. If I like it, and can use it, that is all that matters.

Having said that, if the item was expensive, I would expect matched seams, sharp points, etc.

Funny thing though, I expect perfection for anything I give to someone. I "expect" it, but never acheive it :cry:
Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I grew up in the world of artists and craftsmen so that may have influenced my thinking somewhat, but I look for and expect excellence, not perfection, in any handcrafted item I purchase, sell, or gift. Doesn't matter what it is…paintings, pottery, jewelry, quilts, whatever. If I'm going to offer/take money for it or gift it to someone, it must exhibit the pride of the artist in his work from start to finish; design, execution and packaging. For me, mismatched seams and cut off points are not charming; they are basic construction flaws...thus deal breakers. I wouldn't buy a mug with a crooked handle either.
I agree. I have an enormous respect for craftsmanship and I have had years of enjoyment using handcrafted items, most of which I had the pleasure to purchase from the maker directly.

That said, everyone certainly has the option to make and sell whatever they want at whatever skill level they have and there is a huge market for items which are handmade, regardless of the level of craftsmanship. Just because an item might not make a juried exhibition doesn't mean someone wont like it and pay for it.