Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize everything? >

How do you organize everything?

How do you organize everything?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 AM

Default How do you organize everything?

I have been collecting, fabric, notions, lace, thread you name it I got it. I have one bedroom filled with stuff, one wall and a half has shelfing for my fabric, but its not enough I have containers, cardboard boxes, plastic shoe boxes, plastic drawers, a huge metal filing cabinet for patterns and a path to get to any and all of it, plastic tubs also. The bedroom also has a slanted ceiling on 2 walls. I also have the whole upstairs except my bedroom filled from one end of the house up to this other bedroom that is filled with plastic shelves that run the length of the wall, for fabric, I have a corner desk for my computer, and my cutting table, ironing board and 3 tables for my sewing machines and 1 industrial machine, all are used. I also have an on-line business because what I make I sell on there, so I can't get rid of anything, what an how can I store my on-line business items in (tote bags, coin purses, purses, baby quilts, vintage patterns) slanted ceilings are a problem through the whole upstairs and since I rent they gotta stay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

the Quilting Board has a forum http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/
this may give you some ideas
right now, i desperately need organization as well - just moved to a new house where everything goes in a different place than it was in the old house [sigh]
Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 AM

I feel your pain. I have slanted walls in my upstars sewing room as well. Since they are slanted due to the roof slant, there isn't any way to re-model them away. A serious waste of wall space.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

My quilt stuff is gradually taking over the whole house. Organization? ha! The problem is that a lot more stuff comes in the door than goes out.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM

For me; organization seems to be an on going thing. As soon as I think I've found a good system I find something else that I like better. I've just switched up to a slightly larger but still very small sewing room and slowly getting all of my fabric out onto shelves. As I'm doing it I'm realizing one thing; most of it I never knew I had because it was out of site. This made me realize that I need to get it all out in the open; the fabric anyways. I have the cube book shelves with the canvas totes in them from Walmarts and I put projects in them if I haven't finished them along with a picture of the project on the outside so that I don't forget what's inside. On the ones with notions, etc I put a label so that I know what's in side; or I'll forget. For me, out of sight is really out of mind and that's not good when you are on a tight budget. I'm still working on organizing my new sewing room and liking the fact that as I'm doing it I'm discovering some things about how my mind works. You'd think I'd have known by now.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Is your avatar a picture of your storage? That's some serious 'stuff'!!

Jan in VA
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Organize???????????? o r g a n i z e ??? define please!

My intention is to use clear plastic containers for small things and bigger bins for other stuff. Note, I said "intention".
Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 AM

I put all my fabric on the comic book boards and that greatly reduced how much space it took to store it all. Plus, it is so easy to see now with then all on shelving. You can't believe how much less space it takes using this method. I was shocked. I actually had empty shelves when I got done. I got the comic book boards on-line at Amazon.com, but if you have a local comic book shop they will have them.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Having just taken advantage of a great Janome quilt show special (7700 plus table, rolling cart for machine, a 3160 machine and a few other things) I am also going to be in need of serious re-organizing. Right now I have a lot of clear plastic storage boxs that are stacked up under my old tables, but they are going to have to go some where else, as one of the tables has to leave. And the boxs aren't going to fit in the closet, 'cause the shelves are full and need to be re-done.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My quilt stuff is gradually taking over the whole house. Organization? ha! The problem is that a lot more stuff comes in the door than goes out.
I have the exact same problem. However, I also keep bringing more stuff in while I whine about how unorganized I am & how I can't seem to find anything (so I have to buy another one to replace the one that's buried under the mess). It's super frustrating!!!