Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU organize/manage your fabric? >

How do YOU organize/manage your fabric?

How do YOU organize/manage your fabric?

Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 AM

Question How do YOU organize/manage your fabric?

How do YOU manage and organize your fabric? Do you arrange by color, theme, or yardage? How do you fold your fat quarters? All ideas are welcomed!

I put projects together in those plastic boxes by ArtBin. They have handles and are about 12"x12" and 2 1/2" high. The rest of the fabric I have purchased needs to be organized so that it is manageable. Help!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM

I ruler fold and stack by color as best I can except my pin dot fabric I stack all the colors together now I'm rethinking to arrange them on comic boards and stack them side by side I think it will be easier on my shoulders if I just slide a fabric out like you would a book rather then the way I have it now the fabric is heavy to lift and hard on my shoulders trying to get something from the bottom
Old 08-31-2014, 10:49 AM

I have been struggling with this for a long time. DH has promised to rework my sewing room this winter and give me cabinets and storage. I'm looking for ideas on what's best to buy and how easy it is to use. I like my material in color families but am not real super strict with it. I currently have it piled on metal shelving and it's not easy to get to nor does it look very organized. I may pull out 50 fabrics to do one quilt and then have to refold and put it all away. I don't know what the answers are, I will be watching this topic for sure.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

I put pieces from 1 to 3 yards on comic boards and sort by color into a shelving unit. Anything over 3 yds on regular bolts. Over 1/4 yd to under 1 yd on half of a comic board on the top shelf. Fat quarters in plastic shoe size boxes in a drawer, no specific folding way, I just leave them how I receive them. Then there are clear small bins on shelves for specific fabrics, ie. sports, Christmas, baby, batiks, etc. Projects are put into 1 or 2 gallon ziploc bags and kept in a fabric bin.

Cari
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM

This thread from yesterday contained many great ideas:http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t252722.html
Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I have my tonals sorted by colors in Iris large drawers and everything else is sort by type of fabric.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:49 PM

I have the 1 - 3 yards on comic boards. Larger amount on bolt size foam board (acid free) from a dollar store my husband cut to correct size. Fat quarters are ruler folded and in the shoe cubby storage from Lowe's. I have the comic book and bolt size put together in groups for a specific quilt I bought it for. Fat quarters are sorted by color and type (cotton, batik) and Christmas ones are separate. I also have put some kits in lined wicker storage baskets. This is all on open shelves in my storage room off the my sewing area.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM

I have a whole closet to use. I hang my fabric on hangers.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:40 PM

Anything more than 1/4 yard goes on comic boards. Sort by color, solids separate from prints. Smaller pieces dumped in a bin for now. There is also a thread on this same topic started yesterday by HSweany that you might refer back to for additional comments.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 PM

Some time ago i bought plastic bins that snap shut - they are slightly larger than a big shoe box - these hold remnants sorted by color, neatly folded and standing on end so that i can see everything that is in the bin when i open the lid. I like this because if i was blue and red stash - i can just pull those 2 bins and have everything. The bins are labeled on the end with the color inside. Larger fabric yardage is wrapped on boards made from cut down fabric bolt boards that i collected at JoAnns - sorted by theme - Christmas, kids, batiks, floral, patriotic, then white on whites/creams are in their own space.