Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize? >

How do you organize?

How do you organize?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM

I have been a die-hard scrapbooker for many years and know that one organizing method doesn't fit all, so I'm hoping to get some ideas to start organizing my small but constantly growing stash.

If you buy fabrics for a particular project is it best to keep them together and label just what you had in mind? (can you tell my memory just ain't what it use to be?)

In scrapbooking, most paper was 8x11 or 12x12. With fabric and so many diff amts - I'm really confused on what to do

If you buy just because you like it - then what? by color, by size, by theme, keep them together if they go together?

And scraps, if they all came from a particular project do you keep them together, or size or color?

Do you mark the yardage on pieces you buy or have left over?

And fat quarters, keep them all together or put them with larger pieces of fabric that they go with?

I know these are a lot of questions but I need to do something and the sooner the better. Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 AM

You have some good ideas already.

You can keep project materials together until finished then store what's left (scraps or extra material) by color or size.

What are you storing your fabrics in/on?

I need to reorganize my stash...too many tubs and bags...I have a great 4 drawer (wide instead of narrow) file cabinet to keep my stash in and it is under utilized.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Organize??? obviously you've never seen my sewing room. tee hee Good luck!!! Post pics when you're done to inspire the rest of us.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Yea! Right!...we would like to see pics.
My pics have to wait until the house remodel is finished.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 AM

I organise my material in boxes and have a see through plastic sleeve on the outside of my box, then i slide into that the label saying what is inside. I have daGama, Amafu, Aussie, Hancocks, stripes, flowers etc. This kind of helps me, as i STILL CAN remember what i bought where, and then i go into that box. I do put the material i am using in a quilt into a large plastic see through zipped bag together with the pattern. I have a couple of those on my TO DO SHELF. That way, i do not use the material for something else....
I am trying, sometimes this does not work..... :shock:
Good luck with your sorting

My storage boxes with labels - this works for me at the moment!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152724[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152719.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I have them where I can see them.. I have 3 tall book shelves that cover all three walls.
one for fat quarters, 1930's & Civil War era's
One for bolts and yards: oriental, whimsical, kids and the the last one for anything larger than a fat quarter separated by color.

Wall cd racks hold misc fat quarters

I have numerous see thru sterilite drawers for remnants that need homes, scraps, strips, applique, batiks

30 gal tubs for every holiday: xmas, halloween, 4th, easter, st Pattys, ets, older'fabric,

Backing fabrics on bolts in walk in closet

And my muslin bolts just lay on top of my bookcases

As for my projects they are in colored art bins with all the fabric & stuff needed.. got them at Joannes for 7.99 and they come in pretty colors too..
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM

beautiful baby
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM

I have fabric Everywhere! In 6ft cabinets, under my sewing table, in bins etc. If i clean it all up then i can't find anything :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM

I have fabric Everywhere! In 6ft cabinets, under my sewing table, in bins etc. If i clean it all up then i can't find anything :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry hit the button twice :oops:
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM

For the most part, our stash is sorted by color. We fold each piece of quilting fabric (anything from ¼ yd to 3 yds) to fit short way in an under-the-bed clear container. We then stack the containers two high and two wide on metal wire shelves (like at Sam’s Club). Every container is labeled with the color on the front (or combination of colors, or novelty type). One of my daughters wanted me to add that the fabric in each container is placed darks to lights to help the younger quilters in their choice options.

Backing fabrics are stored on bolts stacked on the same type of metal shelving unit.

Unfinished projects get their own zip lock bag with reference info written on the bag then placed flat in another clear under-the-bed container.

All cut strips in smaller clear tubs according to size. All cut triangles & squares in labeled clear tubs according to size.

All quilting/sewing books on book shelf categorized by types & then alphabetized within their type.

We have seven quilters in our home so organization helps greatly and contributes to keeping the fur from flying too thickly when deadlines are nearing. I am an over the top type of organizer . . . . those I quilt with run the spectrum from piler to more obsessive than I am. We love to help people organize their sewing rooms/stashes and have found that the bottom line is that you need a system that fits you, that you can maintain, and that you can afford!