Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you piece your backing fabric? >

How do you piece your backing fabric?

How do you piece your backing fabric?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Has anybody successfully used the John Flynn formula for diagonally piecing a quilt back? I have studied the pictures in his tutorial and just can't seem to understand it. I think the web site is JohnFlynn.com loook for "Joan's trick". Hopefully someone can explain this to me. It is supposed to use less fabric... thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I've never been able to figure it out.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:35 PM

I've figured it out in my head but haven't tried it. Try it with a piece of paper. Cut it on the diagonal. Keep the two pieces side by side and slide one side up and the other down. You'll see how it works. The more you slide the pieces the wider the fabric gets. There will be triangular points at the top and bottom to be trimmmed off in order to make a rectangle.

I haven't done it yet cause I don't know where I can lay out my fabric so I can cut a straight diagonal. Or how to mark and cut the diagonal for that matter.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM

I Make a Tube, by sewing the two widths or lengths together with a seam on both sides. Than I take one of the sides and cut evenly between the seams on one side, and the you usually will have a large piece in the middle and equal width on each end. Don't know it tha makes sense. Here is a site that explains it better.

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM

This Tube sounds like it would work for me. Thanks for the link
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM

It's nice, because I don't like putting a seam in the middle and this way you have a nice big center back with equal amounts of fabric on each side.
Originally Posted by TexasGranny
This Tube sounds like it would work for me. Thanks for the link
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM

I have used the John Flynn formula, but only with a small quilt. I think it was a baby quilt. Thought it didn't really save that much fabric for all the trouble it is.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I Make a Tube, by sewing the two widths or lengths together with a seam on both sides. Than I take one of the sides and cut evenly between the seams on one side, and the you usually will have a large piece in the middle and equal width on each end. Don't know it tha makes sense. Here is a site that explains it better.

i did one of mine this way too..so easy and even sides! I saw someone else do it at a group..Thanks for bringing it back for me to remember!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 AM

I have done John Flynn's method, successfully. I had a piece of fabric that was a bit too long and a bit too narrow, so I cut it diagonally from top left corner to bottom right, slid the 2 cut pieces in opposite directions until I had the width I needed and still had enough length. I marked the 2 pieces, sewed them back together, starting and ending at the marks, cut off the end triangles, i.e., squared up and, voila, I had the rectangle the size I needed. This was for a queen sized quilt.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by shaverg

I also use this method. This way, you have the seams equally on the sides, and not in the middle. Makes the back look neater, at least I think so :-D