Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you press "fusible" batting for a large quilt >

How do you press "fusible" batting for a large quilt

How do you press "fusible" batting for a large quilt

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Power Poster

Naughty, naughty!!! After reading this thread I just had to go online and order those clamps from Harbor Freight. My justification was that I wouldn't waste gasoline going to the hardware store and valuable time searching the store for these clamps. Some of these threads just tempt me beyond my ability to resist.......

Oh, and I didn't take a close look, but I think the set of clamps has them in various sizes. I need the ones that can handle a thick edge, so I went with the 99-centers (up to 1-1/2" bite capability). Shipping doubled that, but I figured I saved on gasoline.......
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 AM

Good morning, ladies!

Okay...my interest is picqued! I would love these quilt clips, but we don't have a Harbor Freight in this area. I am going to search our local hardware stores (Ace Hardware, Hardware Hank, etc.) to see if they carry them, but in case they don't, would the web address be www.harborfreight.com?

Also, I do have a bed-size quilt that I do have sandwiched using fusible batting, but since it hasn't been fused it yet, I'm having second thoughts...that the quilt is too big for fusible. I think I'll take it apart and use some Warm 'n' Natural that I have on hand.

My thanks to all of you!

Jojo
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 AM

I pressed it hard with my hands first then put it on the table to iron it and skipped the edges so no mistakes and all. I read at one site that sells it on the reviews that a woman uses the kitchen floor (linoleum) and it cleans up very easy off that .. I am a quilter for 10 yrs and am amazed at what I keep learning. I had NO idea there was a spray you could use for this also instead of buying the fusible which again I had no idea until this summer was available either. I am thinking the spray product is used more widely? anyone have a word on this? the fusible batting was so thin I doubled it (it stuck nicely to the other fusible) and it made a decent thin but warm blanket. One layer is almost hard to even notice its in between the fabric unfortunately. I wanted thin but I also wanted warm.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

boy i've been lazy. i haven't even gotten out my folding table to do fusible batting lately. i have done mine on the ironing board. did for my last quilt anyway. it was lap size. i just smooth the batting as i go along.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 AM

Prism99 - Those clamps do come in various sizes but I think the ones you got are the same ones I have because they were $1 each. It's like having a few more pairs of hands, lol!

jojo47 - That's the correct address. I would get the $1 ones. The different sizes have a different size "bite", if that makes sense to you. Thanks

Elisabrat - Thanks for your help. I have some quilter's basting spray but you have to be real careful using that stuff because it leaves sticky residue on everything. I use it sometimes with embroidery stabilizer but I lay it inside a box before I spray to catch the excess and it's still messy.

I have a bad back so I knew I couldn't lay it on the floor because I would never have been able to get back up...and that's the truth! LOL!! I think I'm just going to make an elastic ironing cover to fit my cutting board...or at least put it on my list of "things to do"!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I would encourage you all to also pin if you are using the spray on a large quilt. Maybe not as close as you normally pin, but I wouldn't count completely on the spray if you are making anything larger than a baby quilt. Just a suggestion.
That's good advice, Loretta. I know one quilter that uses the basting spray and what she does is she lays a large painter's tarp in her garage or driveway and sprays the layers...of course she has lots of helping hands to lay everything out right.

I enjoy my sewing space too much to get the basting spray on everything!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM

I used it last time for a double quilt.. it was hard to get the front and the back straight luckily it plucks right off and you can reiron. I did it on the ironing board one quarter at a time.. if I had had a floor you can bet I would have done it there but all is carpeted and I rent so the fear of messing up the carpet sent me to the board. The dinner table is another option.. my question is: after using this stuff which is THIN (I doubled mine to make it a tad fatter than felt) is after reading all the postings I discovered there is BASTING SPRAY? this holds the fabric down so you dont need to pin? is that correct? does it work well? I really hate the quilting part and really hate the pinning.. love making the top but the dreaded quilting part .. so if the basting spray works well please tell me!!!