Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you press your flying geese blocks? >

How do you press your flying geese blocks?

How do you press your flying geese blocks?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Power Poster

Default How do you press your flying geese blocks?

I am making the Snow Geese pattern:
http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ng_geese_quilt

using the new Accuquilt Go die for 3"x6" finished flying geese (correct size for the pattern).

The pattern says to press the seams open, but my machine tries to "eat" the beginning of every seam. It doesn't usually do that, but there's something about the angle of the feed it doesn't like about these pieces. This makes me leery of pressing seams open, as the seams aren't entirely uniform.

For this pattern, would you recommend pressing seams towards the small triangles or towards the center? Or should I try pressing them open as the pattern suggests? I haven't made flying geese blocks before.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:25 PM

The pattern may have you pressing open to reduce bulk in the block. I press my geese towards the small triangles in all of the blocks that I have made.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 AM

I would still press open - then again, I generally do anyhow. Are you using a leader when starting your piecing? Are you chain piecing? Machine still eating the edge doing either of those?
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I usually press my flying geese seams outward since that is the way they want to go. In the picture, they are recommending pressing them open so that the dark seam allowance doesn't shadow on the white. If you are not using a white background with dark geese, press them how you want.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I make them the Eleanore Burns method and I believe they are pressed to the outside.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I think I will try pressing them open and see what happens.

NJ, I am chain piecing. Now I am using a leader in-between each section to minimize the "eating". Never had this problem before with my old Bernina, even with other triangles. There is just something about the angles that my machine doesn't like. I would switch to a single-hole throat plate, but I have to move the needle to the right to get my scant 1/4" seam. I do think part of the problem is the zigzag throat plate.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Have you tried a new sharp needle? I think that sometimes if the needle is even a little dull, it pushed the fabric instead of piercing it.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I Press the first seam open and the second one I press towards the corner triangle. I don't press both seams open.

Doing it this way shows the interlocking point at the 1/4" seam that you want to match when sewing geese into any block. Finding that point and not catching it in the seam allowance is always a problem. Now I can just put a pin in just the right place to match points and not loose them in the seam.
peace
Old 02-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
Have you tried a new sharp needle? I think that sometimes if the needle is even a little dull, it pushed the fabric instead of piercing it.
krafty, you are a GENIUS!!! I changed to a new needle and the machine is no longer eating my triangles. This is making my piecing SO much more enjoyable. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!