Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you put labels on the binding? >

How do you put labels on the binding?

How do you put labels on the binding?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Default How do you put labels on the binding?

I just read a thread that was talking about putting labels on the binding. This is a new concept to me and I love it. Can anyone tell me how this is done and maybe show me a picture of a completed project. I do not have an embroidery machine so would need to take it out to someone who does this type of work. Would I need to make my binding a lot wider and just take the strip of fabric to the embroidery person to have the print added? Or, would I need to add a stabilizer to the fabric before I take it to have the work done? Is this concept something new or am I just slow to catch on? Maybe I shouldn't have ask that ..... LOL
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 AM

My sister found a source that makes little (1/2"x2") labels preprinted with basic info. She ordered some as a gift for me. Mine says "Handmade by Rose Girod". They are perfect for adding to a commissioned quilt binding, inside a handbag, or about anything I make these days. The printing is sewn into the tag, which is of "fabric" similar to tags in commercially made clothing. I don't think they are very expensive, but have no idea where they came from. Will have to phone sister to find out!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

oh there is a tutorial somewhere. a quilter folded her binding and embroidered her name or what ever on it when it would show up correctly after being sewn onto the quilt. if I find it, i'll post it for you here.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
oh there is a tutorial somewhere. a quilter folded her binding and embroidered her name or what ever on it when it would show up correctly after being sewn onto the quilt. if I find it, i'll post it for you here.
here you go! http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...g-t220751.html
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

How clever! Thanks to the link for the great tutorial.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:39 AM

I like this idea!! So glad you asked this question so I could see the answer - I think I remember seeing it in the tutorial section too. I'm going to do this on the next quilt I bind.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

That's the one!!! thanks so much. I subscribed to it and hopefully it will stay where I can find it.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

I hope you all find doing this on your binding easy enough to do and be satisfied with it. If you have any trouble PM me and I'll try to help. Pictures are a great way to show an idea but there may still be ?'s.

I want to see your printed bindings and don't forget to put some fun sayings or a joke there too. It makes a fun addition to a quilt.
peace
Old 09-16-2013, 12:31 AM

Thank you! I saw this before and never bookmarked it - have now!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:25 AM

Oh my gosh, this is how I've always done my labeling on quilts! I had never heard of anyone else doing this so I just figured it wouldn't hold up long or was a big no-no, but I do it anyway. I decide what I want on there, put it on my computerized sewing machine (no embroidery yet) and sometimes take up half the side. I use contrasting thread so it is noticeable and make it to fold onto the back of the quilt. I put my name, city/state, date and who it's for if I'm giving it away. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!