Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you put on your BINDING

I hear several people put on their binding different ways so i was wondering how do you put yours on. So, after you sew your binding on, do you hand stitch the rest or machine stitch and do you do it on the back or front.

Blog Entries
    I machine stitch to the back and machine sew it on the front usually with a blanket stitch :D:D:D

I measure circumference of quilt, create binding to fit (plus 10 more inches). Then, I sew to front of quilt, mitering at corners. Then, I handsew to back using stitching line as quide. Then I sew on front with decorative stitch. It gives that quilt you spent so much time creating, cutting, piecing and quilting a finish worth working at - like a frame around a picture. I carry quilts to places I have to wait, etc. and work on the hand sewing then.

I machine sew it to the front, wrap around to the back, and then stitch-in-the-ditch on the front so that the needle just catches the binding on the back.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I do the old fashion way of folding the backing over the front and sewing it down. That's the way my grandmother did it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I do the old fashion way of folding the backing over the front and sewing it down. That's the way my grandmother did it.

I have done that on several quilts for the boys and MIL...it's so easy...but I like the seperate one on my quilts....I always leave enough batting so the binding is stuffed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I machine stitch to the back and machine sew it on the front usually with a blanket stitch :D:D:D
    I've used this method or I sew the binding (double fold) to the front and hand stitch it to the back.

I ask the question so mine is sew onto the front and fold to the back and hand stitch it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie
    I hear several people put on their binding different ways so i was wondering how do you put yours on. So, after you sew your binding on, do you hand stitch the rest or machine stitch and do you do it on the back or front.
    no hand stitching here, i have carpel tunnel..so mine is sewn on also. and i am not ashamed! lol

Blog Entries
    I sew it single fold to the front, mitering the corners, and then fold to the back and hand hem it down with a blind hem stitch. I like the look of it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast