Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you quilt a jelly roll quilt? >

How do you quilt a jelly roll quilt?

How do you quilt a jelly roll quilt?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Default How do you quilt a jelly roll quilt?

Hi Folks,

I made a quilt from a jelly roll by sewing the end of one fat quarter to the end of the next fat quarter, etc which made one really long 2 1/2 inch strip. Then I cut the strip in two and sewed the two strips together the long way. Then I cut that in two, etc. Now I have a strange looking quilt about 75 inches square full of 2 inch strips. I am not sure how to quilt it. I am not an accomplished quilter. I can stitch in the ditch. If I were to stitch in the ditch on each side of each 2 inch strip from one side of the quilt to the other, will I have a problem by not stitching across the strips?
I used a batting that allows up to 8 inches between quilting rows.

Mary Lou
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM

If you want to emphasize the stripes, you could quilt down the middle of each strip. On the one I made, I just did a simple meander all over it.

Pam
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I would just do a meandering all over it. I always quilt no further apart than 3-4", no matter what the batting bag says.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Default I stippled mine

Here is a picture of the one I did for a Christmas present.
Attached Thumbnails merl-dianns-christmas-quilt-i-made-004.jpg   merl-dianns-christmas-quilt-i-made-002.jpg   merl-dianns-christmas-quilt-i-made-007.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Theoretically, I guess your batting could migrate from one end of the quilt to the other along the quilting lines. Realistically, I doubt that would happen. However, you would still be better off (and it would take less time) to do some other type of quilting that went in both directions. For this type of quilt, a meander would be fine, or swirls, or ... whatever you like. If you don't enjoy free motion, perhaps you could SID for every 3rd seam and make diagonal lines every 6 inches, following the direction of the joins in your strips if you joined them on the diagonal, or straight up and down if you joined them at right angles.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM

marylou, did you just use 2 and 1/2 strips , you said fat qtrs but I don't think you used FQ's for that. Thanks
Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet View Post
Hi Folks,

I made a quilt from a jelly roll by sewing the end of one fat quarter to the end of the next fat quarter, etc which made one really long 2 1/2 inch strip. Then I cut the strip in two and sewed the two strips together the long way. Then I cut that in two, etc. Now I have a strange looking quilt about 75 inches square full of 2 inch strips. I am not sure how to quilt it. I am not an accomplished quilter. I can stitch in the ditch. If I were to stitch in the ditch on each side of each 2 inch strip from one side of the quilt to the other, will I have a problem by not stitching across the strips?
I used a batting that allows up to 8 inches between quilting rows.

Mary Lou
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 PM

I meandered my jelly roll quilt too. I added wide borders on top and bottom and more narrow borders on the sides to make a twin size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]386145[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0647.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:30 PM

If you are concerned about not quilting over the seams why not quilt across the quilt in straight lines an inch to 2 inches apart could give the impression the quilt is made up of lots of tiny squares x
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 PM

I made several of these, then a friend and my sister made some. We just SID each seam. They've been through some washings and are fine.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 AM

Yes, you are right! I used 2 1/2 inch strips. The "fat quarter" came from some deep recess in my mind.

Mary Lou