Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you select your next quilt? >

How do you select your next quilt?

How do you select your next quilt?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 PM

I was just wondering how all of you select your next quilt:

Do you find fabric and it hits you who to make it for?
Do you find the pattern, fabric and then select the receipent?
Do you have a check off list or draw a name from a hat?
Or do you just make something from your stash and take it from there?

The reason I am asking is because the twin flower girl quilt I am in the process of making came about at the very last moment. I was in the fabric store making a return. Since I couldn't find an accessory I wanted or needed I decided to pick some fabric instead. That actually took 3 hours! I paced the floors looking for something to match those "set aside future quilts" sitting on my bookcase. I looked at so much but it wasn't until I actually found this yellow geometric print that I knew exactly where I would use it. After I picked that up, I looked for a coordinating color to use for the sashes and bamm I found it and that's how this flower girl quilt came about. I was estatic. I posted pics of this panel and from that came an entire twin size quilt who, I think, will go to my granddaughter for her birthday.

Has this ever happened to you? Sometimes I want to use up my stash and avoid buying anything. This is where I need to get very creative so this quilt won't look like the one I just finished because of the same colors! I like trying new patterns and cutting techniques. I love challenges and I love putting all my heart and sole into making a special quilt for a special person. What about you?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Try going thru your stash and putting fabric together, and make jelly rolls, layer cakes & charm packs together. Then you may get some ideas that just pop into mind. It worked for me, and made me feel like I had my own little quilt shop going on!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

I do any and all except the list and drawing from a hat. That isn't my style. I have to be motivated or it will never be finished.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

But if I don't stay away from this computer for a few days, I won't finish anything!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
But if I don't stay away from this computer for a few days, I won't finish anything!
AMEN :roll:
Old 08-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Ever since I've discovered this site, I have been inspired by the beautiful and unique quilts members have posted for everyone to see. I am also grateful for the generosity of others. I make sure to do the same. There have been many rainy days here in Florida that all I want to do is read the board! So I have to push myself off to get some sewing done too.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 PM

Typically my 'next' quilt revolves around who has the next birthday coming up that doesn't already have a quilt from me. Then of course there's the swap squares that need put together into a quilt, and the UFO's and WIP's that are waiting for me to get back to them... And then there's the latest picture of whoever's gorgeous quilt that inspires me to make one similar.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:00 PM

I like to go through my quilt library for inspiration, and my stash for scrappy fabrics. On occasion, I am forced (pretend I hate it) to buy more fabric. Sometimes I start a quilt with no regard for how it will ultimately look, other than the fact that I know what the block will be. Of course, I do lots of graph paper sketches to scale before I cut anything, so I guess I do know what to sort of expect. I also like to look at blocks and devise speedier construction methods when I can.
One day a friend came over with a pattern she had picked up at a store. I took one look at it, and knew that was the perfect pattern for all my batik fabrics. Really easy, really fast, and I think I made a queen size top in a day or two. This year, I have been all about making simple, fast quilts. Next year, my goal is to make 3 complicated quilts.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 AM

Goal for me is to use up my stash and make at least one project from each book/mag I have before I die. I should be done with the books/mag part by the time I'm 120! So I choose a book/pattern and shop the stash and away I go!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 AM

I tend to make quilts for groups of people; blankets for Christmas for all my children, blankets for my sisters, for the neighbor kids, for nieces, etc. Once I have an idea who I am sewing for I start seeing patterns and fabrics that would be perfect. I like choosing specific combinations for those I love. Some of the fabric comes from stash and I try to use that when I can to save money. Entire stash blankets usually go to charity because they are beautiful but I don't yet know who they belong with. I am now starting a list of people/pattern/fabric ideas for the future. If I see a fabric that would be perfect for someone I know I will pruchase a yard or so and set it aside. hopefully it will develope into something perfect at a future date