Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you starch fabric? >

How do you starch fabric?

How do you starch fabric?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 AM

I spray on the wrong side and wait for several minutes/hours to iron. I always keep Iron Off close by.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:17 AM

I don't starch at all. I just cut carefully, don't stretch when sewing, and press every seam. I just don't see any need to starch.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 AM

I had to check out this thread because what I do is so easy and works, I was wondering. When I started out, I didn't starch at all. As I've been trying to learn and present my best work, I like the starch look. I use Best Press starch.

I'm one of those pre wash people unless it's Northcott, Benartex or Marcus Bros fabric. I spray it on before I cut so the fabric is crisp and ready to be cut. Also I spray when I set the seam and press open the block. I had never heard of flaking nor have I ever had a problem with it. Never had a problem with Best Press building up on my iron.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
Now don't laugh at me, but this is how I starch my fabrics from half yds to larger pieces to smaller pieces. First I put down an old bed sheet on the floor or outside on my back deck, then I make up a 50/50 starch solution, I use Sta Flo from a jug. I put my mixture into this wonderful hand sprayer, adjust the spray mist nozzle and just spray my fabrics. If it is a nice day outside, I will hang my pieces on the clothesline to dry up a bit because sometimes if I do a heavy starch it may be a little drippy. If the weather is not good outside then I take my starched pieces and toss them into the dryer on air only and dry them for a few minutes. This does not harm your dryer. You can find these great little sprayers in the garden area of your favorite store. Mine came from WM. [ATTACH=CONFIG]465417[/ATTACH]
I'm going to have to buy a sprayer like this. I use cheapy sprayers, and they seem to stop working too soon.
I use 50/50 Stay Flo and water, and don't wait long enough to iron it. But I try to spray from one side to the other, then start ironing at the side I started on. Gives it a little time to soak in. Works beautifully. No flakes. But I have to be sure to shake up the bottle each time. The starch sinks to the bottom and comes out first.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
Now don't laugh at me, but this is how I starch my fabrics from half yds to larger pieces to smaller pieces. First I put down an old bed sheet on the floor or outside on my back deck, then I make up a 50/50 starch solution, I use Sta Flo from a jug. I put my mixture into this wonderful hand sprayer, adjust the spray mist nozzle and just spray my fabrics. If it is a nice day outside, I will hang my pieces on the clothesline to dry up a bit because sometimes if I do a heavy starch it may be a little drippy. If the weather is not good outside then I take my starched pieces and toss them into the dryer on air only and dry them for a few minutes. This does not harm your dryer. You can find these great little sprayers in the garden area of your favorite store. Mine came from WM. [ATTACH=CONFIG]465417[/ATTACH]
I heard about these sprayers a few years ago from Vicki Lawler's "Sky Dyes" video and LOVE them. Great for quilting and also for laying down a light water misting when damp "swiffing" floors. Easy on the hands too. Tip: don't fill it all the way -- gets heavy!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:03 AM

I'm fortunate to have a sink down in my sewing room so I hang my fabrics up over the sink and spray away, let dry and then iron. I spray on the wrong side and iron on the right side so no flakes. If I'm in a hurry like yesterday I will spray right there on my ironing board but I try to overlap my fabrics so not as much will fall on the ironing board itself. Still spray on the wrong side, let it set 5-10 minutes and then come back to iron.

I try to estimate how much of each fabric I'll need with a little overlap in case of miss cuts, then spray everything at one time and let it hang over the sink to drip if that's the case. I make my own starch mixture using the vodka method with added liquid starch as I like a crisp texture.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM

I just watched a tute about spraying. Yup spray then turn over and iron on the other side. Thanks for the tip on mixing Best Press 50/50. Her name was Leah that did the tute.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 AM

I like best press too, it leaves no residue. Always iron the fabric first as the heat helps the starch to penetrate the fabric better. Spray on the back side of the fabric to avoid any flakes (altho you won't get any with best press)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM

I like to use Magic Sizing instead of starch because it does not build up on my iron and I don't get flaking. It is found next to spray starch when shopping.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM

go to Slightlyoffquilter.com There are 2 excellent video's about starching your fabric