Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you starch?

I know there have been numerous threads on this topic, so I apologize if this is too much of a repeat. I saw a post recently where someone wrote of using liquid starch and I was reminded of my mother complaining when she used to starch my father's collars in that way. Then she started using spray starch, and though the results weren't as dramatic, she was happy with the change! lol

So, my question is: How do you starch? Liquid or spray starch? And whichever method you use, what is your favorite brand and why would you recommend it over another?

Thanks!

I use spray when I starch then iron. It's not often that I starch, when I make prairie points I starch.

Blog Entries
    I use Mary Ellen's Best Press. It works fantastic whether I am pressing whiling making a quilt or ironing a shirt. And the Linen Fresh scent is very nice too!

Blog Entries
    I use liquid Sta-Flo and dilute it with water. I usually mix it 1/2 and 1/2. I starch most of my fabric before cutting and after setting my seams, I spray them to press to one side. I have tried spray starch, but the liquid gives me more control over the stiffness and it doesn't flake like most sprays. I would suggest that you try both kinds on samples and then go with the one you like best.

Blog Entries
    The little I use it - I make my own. Here' a recipe. I do not add the fragrance.

http://www.pinkyhasabrain.com/homema...starch-recipe/

Blog Entries
    I also use liquid Sta Flo, mixing it 50/50. I wash the fabric, take it out of the washer, dip it into the starch mix, wring it out, then put it into the dryer until almost dry then iron. They say that starched fabric will attract insects. It's never happened to me, but I still only wash & starch just before I start a project to be on the safe side.

I read a topic on here where someone had turned in a quilt to be machine quilted and it was open seamed and flat as a pancake, so I have starched all my blocks stiff until I get them quilted then launder again and press. Not sure if it will make quilting any easier for me, but they sure look pretty!!

Blog Entries
    I use both liquid Sta Flo and various brands of spray. No matter which I use, I spray and let dry before pressing. I never get flaking this way, nor does it stick to my iron :wink: :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I use both liquid Sta Flo and various brands of spray. No matter which I use, I spray and let dry before pressing. I never get flaking this way, nor does it stick to my iron :wink: :D:D:D
    Ahhhh, so it's not so much the brand as the method? That's good to know. Thanks!

I use magic sizing because I was informed that bugs like starch. I buy it at Wal-Mart in the laundry soap area. I think that it costs right around $.97.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast