Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Stay Focused?

How do all of you stay so focused on quiliting and sewing to get so much done?

I have a head full of ideas, a room full of fabric and plenty of time LOL but I find that there is always something else to be done.

For instance, I just finished cleaning the house and dinner is in the crock pot. I am now sitting out on the deck cause it is gorgeous out and I dont' want to be in the house. Not bringing my machine outside, it's too big and I am sure I would be jumping up and down a million times to run back in for all the things I need.

I really would like to know the secret :)

robin

Been too hot for me to go out so I quilt or find something to do here on the site...maybe screen in your deck make an outdoorsy type of small area to either cut fabrics or if you embroidery maybe do that on the deck?

On beautiful days like today, I throw open the windows and let the outside come to me ;). I also try to space out my sewing throughout the day so I don't feel too unproductive :D

Blog Entries
    I'd enjoy the day outside and wait until it's too hot, too rainy, too cold or too windy to start quilting.

see I'm not one of those mass producing quilters. :(

Blog Entries
    As I get older, and sure am getting there, I find it harder to stay focused. I start 4-5 things each morning, then sit down to sew, I remember I need coffee, start to make coffee, the dog wants to go out, let her out and remember I have a load of laundry ready to come out, Oh, have mail a letter - try finding a env., I guess I should get out of my pjs, etc. Finally sit down to sew and need coffee, start all over again.

its my source of income so monday-friday i treat it like a job because it is one.

i work 4-6 hours a day 5 days a week regardless of the weather or what chores need to be done around the house.

if i don't sew i can't pay the mortgage or buy food for my family and thats the best motivation of all.

Who stays focused? LOL I come and go in spurts. I hardly saw my sewing room all spring long. It's too hot outside now to do much other than in the early morning... so now I have time to sew!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtinkle
    Who stays focused? LOL I come and go in spurts. I hardly saw my sewing room all spring long. It's too hot outside now to do much other than in the early morning... so now I have time to sew!
    Focused?

I sew when I feel inspired to do it. Or sometimes I sew because I want to shut out the rest of the world. Sometimes I will sew for days and do nothing in between. Fast food and leftovers for meals unless DH cooks. If it is nice outside, every window and door is open so I feel like I am outside. Other times, I don't pick up anything in my sewing room for a week or two. If I ever feel like I "have to do it.....stay focused" I would probably find a new hobby or pastime.

Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to start quilting.

Focused? .......... that's why we have WIP, UFOs and PhDs!!!!!!! :)

Sometimes I just declare it's a "me" day .... or weekend ... or days! And nothing beyond the absolute must-do's are done. And like you, my crockpot is a great friend at that time ... or one pot oven meals (in the winter).

And ..... not every day is for sewing .... today is a beautiful day here and I should be outside. Though now that I am finished my office work (the paying stuff), laundry is caught up, supper planned and have done some playing here with you lovelies .... I am now "gifting" myself the time to go and sew for most of the rest of the day!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast