Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you stipple?

could someone please explain to me how to stipple i would appreciate it thanks dorothy from tenn

joy
    Correct me if I am wrong, but stippling is like corneli work on an iced cake... one continuous wriggly line.... but bigger curves....

What a great description! Absolutely right! Never really looked at it like that, but it is...! Imagine a little caterpillar dipped in color and allowed to wander all over the quilt top...or a snake..though those images could be disturbing to some I guess, ...anyway it is squiggles all over. Some modes of stippling also include the more graphic geometric stitching. Some quilt police would debate that. It is simply put...even ,consistent patterned stitching used to fill an area. These stitches be very close and often help to define. All over stippling is a true meandering appearance covering the entire quilt.

Wow! So we can marry my two favorite hobbies!?!?!?! :)

you betcha' ! think of some of the icing patterns....scrolls for instance....as a wonderful quilting pattern.....hhhmmmm!!! And those wonderfully made cakes with the almond paste and fine iceing designs...what a whole cloth quilt they would make...yummy.

Stippling to me looks like jig saw puzzle pieces. I love doing it.

Sounds funny, but my mother in law taught me " Big Head Little Neck"
    It made it easier for me to remember the pattern as I was going along. 8)

Blog Entries
    I heard to not cross over previous stitching. Is there some dire consequence, or is it just design? :oops:

Blog Entries
    some quilt snob might look down her nose at it but i'm pretty sure the Berlin Wall won't go back up. :wink:

i seem to recall hearing or reading somewhere that in a strictly technical sense it isn't stippling if the lines cross each other anywhere.

i try really hard to not worry much about such technicalities. i'll be happy enough if my first free motion attempt is simply not a complete disaster. (don't place any bets. i still haven't worked up the nerve to try. LOL)

I'm not a quilt snob, but that is what I was taught, and that is what I was told is the technique called stippling.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast