Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store fabric lines? >

How do you store fabric lines?

How do you store fabric lines?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:56 PM

Default How do you store fabric lines?

I have a lot of fabrics from a variety of fabric lines. I also have a several fabric collections (fairy frost, dimples, Kona and a couple of prints). My question is, do you store the fabric line together or do you separate them out by color?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:00 PM

I just store my fabric by color. I find it easier to see what I have and what colors I might need to buy.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:16 AM

I store by color, and by theme.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:36 AM

Actually I do both. I store most fabric in plastic bins by color. However, if I buy several pieces in a "line' I keep them together. My husband cut a piece of 'hardboard' (from his model railroad supplies) into pieces that are four inches by 11 inches. I fold the longest piece of fabric in half (so it is 11 inches) and wrap it on the board, fold the second piece a bit smaller and wrap it onto the board, etc. When I finish I can see all of the pieces in the collection. Then, I can use them together or I can take out specific pieces and use them for something else.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:54 AM

I store by color. I also put kits together in large plastic zipper bags with the pattern. I have about 15 kits ready to cut and sew.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I also do both. Almost all of my fabric is by color, but I do have a few odd bundles that I bought from a particular line.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Tonals, I store by color, then I have drawers sorted by type of fabric such as batiks, Xmas, watercolor florals, reproduction, plaids, patriotics, kids, etc.
Attached Thumbnails iris-drawers.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 05:30 AM

We store most fabrics by color. All holiday fabric is together in one cabinet. Another cabinet contains fabrics that belong together, whether they be kits, or several fabrics in one line. That way we at least know that if we use them they could be throwing a wrench in a plan for a future quilt.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:53 AM

Color. I don't pay attention to fabric lines, I mix and match as wanted. If the line is on the selvage, I never look.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 AM

I do a blend that probably makes no sense to anybody but me!

I put my Kona solids all together, by color. Then I have another section for all "other" solids, by color. I have a white-on-white section and an Ombre section. Then I sort of go by theme - all my asian prints are together, all my "nerd/tech" prints are together, all my retro-kitch prints, Halloween, batiks, baby prints, etc. all have sections of the cabinet.

Then I have an area where I line up fabrics together that I've mentally earmarked for certain quilts. I almost always do a scrappy look so I tend to accumulate dozens of fabrics for a single quilt over a long period of time before I get around to making the quilt. Like right now I'm accumulating greys and blacks that have grid-like patterns on them; I am accumulating towards a "skyscraper" quilt I dreamed up about a year ago - all of those fabrics are together on a shelf even though not all of them will make it into that quilt. Once I finally make the quilt, those remaining fabrics will get sorted into other areas in my cabinet.

It's kind of hodge-podgey to look at, but I always seem to find what I'm looking for.