Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you store an old quilt?

Hello everybody,
    We inherited a quilt that my mother-in-law and her quilt group made in the 60's. I don't know the best way to store it. Any suggestions?
    Judy

I keep mine in a pillowcase and periodically refold. I have laid them on a spare bed, also.

I know that you DON'T want to store them in a plastic bag. They can sweat. SewMuch, I agree that a pillowcase would be a good idea, along with refolding them. If you display them, keep away from a heat source or sunlight. What a treasure to have an old quilt from a family member! Sara

i agree with sewmuch, i have heard it said on some of the quilt shows that putting a quilt on a bed, or even several on one bed is a good way to store.
    if you want to store it away you can get acid free tissue to line the quilt before folding. and refold periodically. they tend to wear along fold lines.
    i have seen on a show about storing old quilts that some actually roll the quilt around a core of wadded acid free tissue. just be sure that the acid free tissue is archival quality. this just means that the tissue contains a buffer against future acidity.
    also, don't store your quilt in a cedar chest. the acid in unfinished wood will speed the aging process.

http://antiques.about.com/cs/textiles1/ht/StoreQuilt.htm
    Store an Antique Quilt

Fold them as little as possible and roll........then the pillowcase, whole clov es help keep bugs out. :D