Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your batting >

How do you store your batting

How do you store your batting

Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DJ
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Just a suggestion - I thought many times about tossing some of my batting scraps because I wouldn't make enough items that small to use them, but then I discovered a trapunto technique that really helps use them up while adding dimension to my quilts. It's all done on your sewing machine before you even layer your quilt, no stuffing required. I learned from visiting Patsy Thompsons blog, and she even has a few instructional videos on YouTube if you're interested. :)
That sounds interesting. Could you put up a link?
http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/blog/
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Since I only have a 2 bedroom townhome and not enough space ... I keep my roll of batting under my bed with garbage bags around it to keep it dust free. This meant I had to put my bed on risers. Luckily I am not too short to get into bed now. I have a blanket chest at the foot of the bed so no one knows what under the bed if I don't tell them.

Since my bed is now a bit higher I have some wheeled baskets I bought years ago [they were for storage of kids toys] also under the bed and they hold the pieces of batting that was not used.

Yes, I do sew my batting together for some quilts. Usually the charity quilts as that is what we do in that group anyway.

ali
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I stand the big rolls up on end in my sewing area and the pieces are in a tote.
this is what I do.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Please don't laugh, but this works for me. I had DH put 2 heavy duty cuphooks in the ceiling, got chain, small & strong, a piece of plastic pipe. Run the chain thru the plastic pipe, slide on the tube of batting, Hubby on one side, me on other, up to the ceiling it goes and hook chain into cuphooks. I have 4 rolls on my ceiling, clean and out of the way.
Hi Hobo,

What an amazing and clever solution! Never thought of this. I would like to comment that I would make sure to cover the rolls of batting. I would have at the very minimum a cover of cotton muslin to keep dust and dirt off. It may also help protect the batting with having a covering of plastic over the cotton cover. The plastic could be clamped together with simple small office binder clamps.

Pam M
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM

In a hamper with a lid on it, keeps the kitty out :)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
I fold mine up and keep it in one of my sewing cupboards, usually in a bag so it doesn't attract lint or threads. I usually only buy what I need for a project though, so I don't have tons laying around. I do have lots of scraps however, which I keep in old batting bags or grocery bags in my sewing cupboard. Not the most organized system, but it works for me!

Just a suggestion - I thought many times about tossing some of my batting scraps because I wouldn't make enough items that small to use them, but then I discovered a trapunto technique that really helps use them up while adding dimension to my quilts. It's all done on your sewing machine before you even layer your quilt, no stuffing required. I learned from visiting Patsy Thompsons blog, and she even has a few instructional videos on YouTube if you're interested. :)
Thanks so much for your suggestion about visiting this site. I just watched the 2-part video for trapunto and know I will be trying it soon.

As for my batting, so far I am still using the first piece. I always save fabric scraps sorted to size in zip lock bags and will be doing the same with the batting scraps. I have left the whole pieces in their original bags until I'm ready to use them.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 AM

I buy four yards or so at a time and roll it like a carpet. Then I stick it on top of whatever is on the shelf above the clothes rack in my closet. It's out of reach, but I can get to it if I stand on a stool.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Looks like Sadiemae beat me to it, thank you for putting up the link to Patsy's blog. She is such an inspiration to me, in addition to the trapunto she's also inspired me to experiment with hand dyeing.

Here's a link to Patsy's trapunto video on YouTube, Part One:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pumpkinp.../2/5_wgE74Mro4

Here is the link to Part Two:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pumpkinp.../1/uZracYi4ooI

If you click on her name you can go directly to her channel, these links just come from my favorites on YouTube. Hope that helps! So glad a few people found her as interesting as I did! :)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
will follow this. I've never bought a roll. Whole pieces are in their original bags with some shoved behind cutting table, and more in our guest bath "pantry." Cut pieces are scattered in the linen cupboard, under my cutting table, in the storage room... Rolls would be the best, but even if I hung them on a dowel, I have no space for such a thing. Shoving them into nooks and crannies seems to be working for me. lol...
Sounds exactly like me....Even when I try to organize my batting it ends up back in a bag shoved under a table....
Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Pumpkinpatchquilter, that was an easy one. I love to look at Patsy Thompson's quilting! I wish I could afford some of her videos, but they are way too expensive for me.