Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: how do you ??

Hi everyone,
    I would like to applique some small melons onto a background fabric. Whether to use freezer paper under, and needle turn or glue the edges down, I just cannot get sharp points. Does any one have a good tip please. With grateful thanks for any help !!

I use Steam n Seam2 fusible.

Power Poster
    Sharp points can be a challenge. I do mostly fused applique with Wonder Under because I like the exact shapes you get. I have used the method where you sew the shape outline to a thin piece of fabric or interfacing and turn right side out through a cut opening. This works for me if I just want a shape to hand stitch down. I use a used dryer fabric softener sheet for the light weight back. I sew around the shape, clip any curves of inside/outside corners and cut a slit in the dryer sheet and carefully turn right side out. Try it on a simple heart shape and see if it will work for you.

I use the dryer sheet method and I clip off the bulk at the corners, clip wherever it may be rounded and it always works very well. Donnajean and Tartan both have great solutions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I use Steam n Seam2 fusible.
    Ditto...when I applique that is!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes to get a sharp point, it is necessary to make an extra side stitch( one small) rather than pivoting at the end of your point. Mostly I use fusible and then hold down to background with a dot of glue, machine applique on.

if you do not want to do fusable, machine applique- but you want to do hand applique - visit the
    piece of cake quilt shop
    learn to applique the piece of cake way-
    they offer great video's tutorials, workshops, dvd's...and a full quilt shop. there are tricks to points and of course- practice.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question. I eventually decided on Freezer paper on top and needle turn. It has worked quite well. Whilst it is not perfect it is fine. Thanks again.