Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you...........

Banned
    Get sewing machine oil out of your blocks?

This is what I did today.......Since the deal with dropping my pair of cars off to the upholsterer fell through I decided to spend the day in the studio. I am working on my Snails Trail blocks and I decided to go ahead an oil my machine up since it has been a bit since I have.

Well I was sewing the blocks and I got little oil spots on the fabric. I do not want to wash the blocks before I put them together and quilt it but will regular "Shout" or the "Advanced Shout gel" get it out when I launder it? Also this fabric is lightly used sheets that I picked up at the thrift store and they have been previously washed and ironed with TONS of starch.

What should I do?

Billy

I would try hand washing the spots out in the sink now using the shout gel. The longer it sits, the harder it will be to remove.

Blog Entries
    I think I have heard about baking soda or corn starch used to absorb the oil, but I have never tried it .

Hope you find a way to get it out

Banned
    I was working on my daughters car after the storms this past weekend when she played U-Boat captain :roll: and I got oil and rusty grease on my favorite shorts. They are a light khaki color almost white and I did not think I would get the oil and stuff off of them.

I used the Shout Gel and you can not tell it was even dirty!! So I am hoping it will come out because these blocks are a pain to do!!!

Billy

Dawn or Goop will take out most any oil substance.

I can not say it enough AWESOME!! I just did that last week while quilting on an old linen cloth. I sprayed with Awesome, let is sit for a few minutes and rinsed the spot. Gone!! Beware, the Awesome will make the oil look pink for a while and then is all gone. Find it at the dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I can not say it enough AWESOME!! I just did that last week while quilting on an old linen cloth. I sprayed with Awesome, let is sit for a few minutes and rinsed the spot. Gone!! Beware, the Awesome will make the oil look pink for a while and then is all gone. Find it at the dollar store.
    Another product to add to my arsenal!! I also like goo gone for non fabric sticky removal. :D

That sounds like a great product. I need to try it. Thanks for the tip.

If you can find Lestoil, it works great at getting grease, ink, etc out, but it is getting hard to find around here.

I've used shampoo for oily hair....!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast