Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you turn hearts inside out?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since my backing sizing problem has put my Dresden plate quilt on hold for today, I've moved on to my other WIP. Apparently, today is not my day to quilt, because I'm having issues with it, too.

I'm trying to applique hearts using the light weight interfacing and turning method. When I turn the hearts, the inside point between the arches doesn't turn well. It almost seems as if there is an extra stitch pulling the interfacing forward there. I'm sewing right on the line.

Is there some magic secret to getting that area to turn smoothly?

It might be that you need to clip little notches out of the fabric in that area. Don't clip beyond the stitches. Just a little bit so that the fabric will have some give to it and you will be able to manipulate it into the shape you want. Clip the fabric before you turn it right side up. Good luck.

snip up to the stitching some times helps. Also, when stitching don't come to a point and pivot, stop one stitch short of the point, 1/4 turn take one stitch, turn 1/4 turn and continue on.

I'm sure that's it just do small clips!

you need to clip the fabric to the stitch line for smooth curves and points.
    show us pictures when you can- you know how we love to see the process along with the final outcome :thumbup:

Yes at the point your stitches should look like this \_/ not like this \/ taking one stitch across the point.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    snip up to the stitching some times helps. Also, when stitching don't come to a point and pivot, stop one stitch short of the point, 1/4 turn take one stitch, turn 1/4 turn and continue on.
    Yep, this is exactly how I do it... :-)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Yes at the point your stitches should look like this \_/ not like this \/ taking one stitch across the point.
    Thanks to all of you for this suggestion. I didn't know this! I've been agonzing on making a perfect pivot. With this great advice, I'm sure I'll be back in business. :D

Blog Entries
    I use pinking shears to have the clips close to the seam line. It makes a smooth finish line all around.

Blog Entries
    In addition to the other advice, try this. When you turn it right side out, if you've got a point turner or something similar, you can run it along the seam line. That should help push the seam out so you can press it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast