Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HOW DO YOU USE YOUR QUILTS? >

HOW DO YOU USE YOUR QUILTS?

HOW DO YOU USE YOUR QUILTS?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM

When I make a quilt it is always for use as a bed spread and I never use it as a blanket. However, most of the time when I make a quilt for one of my daughters or grandchildren they use them a blankets.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I make them to be well used and loved :D:D:D
Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Depends. If I made a bed quilt (I've got two in progress but neither is finished yet) I expect it will be used as a bed quilt until it is too worn, and then to be used as a "blanket" (carried on picnics, taken camping, on fishing trips, etc). If I make a throw size or baby quilt, I expect they'll be carried around and used however the owner needs to use them, whether it's on the couch or on a picnic.

Really, I don't do hand quilting, and all my quilts tend towards the "utility" end of the quilt continuum. I try to make them washable and durable, and I very rarely do complicated patterns or hand applique. I use a lot of scraps, and reuse clothing. I might feel differently about a hand-appliqued, hand-quilted baltimore album made entirely from quilt shop fabric that cost $10 a yard.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult
When I make a quilt it is always for use as a bed spread and I never use it as a blanket. However, most of the time when I make a quilt for one of my daughters or grandchildren they use them a blankets.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this.
Personally I don't care how the recipient uses what I make for them. I make mine to be attractive as well as utilitarian. A neighbor made me one I use as a couch throw so everyone who comes in my house sees it. I don't hand sew or quilt anything because I want it to be able to be washed and "loved". That way I know they are appreciated.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I use mine the Linus way - as a comfy blanket. Everyone else varies.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM

I use them as blankets. Honestly, I am too lazy to have a bedspread that I have to remove and fold neatly every night just to put it back on in the morning. No one but family sees my bedroom and I make the bed every morning. If I am feeling fancy, I put an extra set of pillows with matching shams on the bed. I can just toss those in the corner at night! lol

I think either way is right. We all love things differently. My grandmother used bed spreads and they looked very nice. So maybe it is part generational?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM

We just bought new livingroom furniture for the first time in 30 years. I have quilts covering the seating areas because we have 3 chihuahuas and my husband feeds them on the furniture. All my quilts are made with easy patterns and meant to be used and washed alot. My kids use the quilts I send them too.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM

I use them for bedspreads, blankets.. one I only use, that my mil made, when I am sick.. I also have one that my huby's great aunt made and it is on the wall. She made it around 1930. Others always adorn beds, bench seats, hope chest etc. I love to see them and use them, to be able to touch them.. bring to minds eyes who made them with loving hands whether I knew them or not.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 PM

As long as they are not folded on on a shelf , it doesn't really matter . I do not keep any of my quilts.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM

I absolutely use mine. On the bed, on the sofa, on the floor when my grandson and I have a "picnic", one daughter uses hers on the bed the other one won't use hers because she afraid of ruining it, I keep telling her she can't hurt it, I made it to be used. Now that she is learning to quilt herself, she'll begin to use it.