Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is How Easy an X-Blocks Quilt Is..... >

This is How Easy an X-Blocks Quilt Is.....

This is How Easy an X-Blocks Quilt Is.....

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Default This is How Easy an X-Blocks Quilt Is.....

I posted photos the other day of a project I did using the X-Blocks rulers. (You can find that thread here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t188699.html)

Several people had not heard of these rulers and wanted to know more about them. These are rulers and patterns designed by Patricia Pepe of Quilt Queen Designs. I took a quick photo of one of the techniques - you first sew a nine-patch block, then cut it using the ruler. (For other patterns, you would start with a strip set instead of the nine-patch.) Yes, it's similar to Twister, but I believe these rulers were around before the Twister ruler. And with X-Blocks the 'leftover' pieces are not wasted - they either get used in the border of the main project, or get sewn into another project like a table runner.

There are probably 20 individual patterns plus 2 books of patterns that use these rulers. The rulers come in two sizes, 6-1/2" and 7-1/2". You can make most of the patterns in either size. There are also Mini rulers and BellyButton rulers in both sizes. These can be used alone to make small versions of the projects. Or the BellyButton can be used to make a small X-Block which is used as the center of the larger nine-patch block.

The second photo shows how the BellyButton blocks fit into the larger blocks. Obviously I'm using fabric from 2 different projects in this photo, normally they would match and make a pretty design ;-)
Attached Thumbnails 3xb.jpg   3bb.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-16-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: PM to member
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 AM

I currently have a WIP out of the x-blocks. The top is mostly together but need to work on the borders. It is looking really pretty so far!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 AM

where can one order these rulers? I tried once, but could not find a site.......looks like fun.......always looking for something different.....
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM

sent you a PM, Geri
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Very interesting. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 AM

This seems like a lot of money for a square ruler with some lines on it. I could not find a picture of one so I assume that is what it is. Someone please tell me why I would spend $18 (+ shipping??) for a square ruler. The video link was about Tutto bags, so I'm still wondering.....
Old 05-18-2012, 04:45 AM

I gotta catch up, have already bought rulers and tools that I haven't tried yet!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
This seems like a lot of money for a square ruler with some lines on it. I could not find a picture of one so I assume that is what it is. Someone please tell me why I would spend $18 (+ shipping??) for a square ruler. The video link was about Tutto bags, so I'm still wondering.....
there is a thread where someone created a twister template using marking lines on a regular ruler template. it looks like you can do the same with this template. for those who like to buy new gadgets, i am sure they see no issues with the $18.00 cost. for those who do have issues with the cost come up with other ceative ideas. i am sure that is how this template was created, with a creative mind.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
Well most rulers are just rectangles or squares with lines on them, aren't they? Whenever you are purchasing something that comes from someone's imagination, you are not paying just for the cost of the raw materials. If that were so, most books, which are just a bunch of paper with some markings on them, would sell for about $3.00. Most music CDs, which are just a piece of round plastic type material would be less than $1.00 each.

Someone had to come up with the whole concept of the X-Blocks projects, do all the math to make sure the pieces go together and form nice designs instead of a jumble of mismatched pieces, then take a financial risk in securing trademarks, patents, and having the product manufactured. All of that has value over and above the piece of acrylic that the ruler is made from.

I'm concerned about the suggestion to make your own version of this ruler. I'm not an attorney, and I don't want to get into a debate about patent law, but the rulers are patented. According to the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office:

A patent is an intellectual property right granted by the Government of the United States of America to an inventor “to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States” for a limited time in exchange for public disclosure of the invention when the patent is granted.
Notice that it says "making" and "using" along with offering for sale. So even if you aren't going to go sell these, by making your own, you are using this person's intellectual property without compensating her (purchasing her product). Think about how you would feel if you went to work everyday for a month or so, and then your boss told you you weren't going to get paid because someone else didn't think what you did had value.

Not everyone will feel the need to or be able to afford to buy gadgets like this, and that's fine. We all have different likes and dislikes and styles of quilting. And that's what's wonderful about this addiction of ours.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 AM

one can certainly draw any lines they want on their own rulers and there is no law, patent or ortherwise, against that. and for clarity sake i can call my "new" marked up rulers the m block or the k block or even a havplenty block ruler and there is no law against that. what you cannot do is market and sell someone else idea as your own.

Last edited by Havplenty; 05-18-2012 at 09:40 AM.