Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to figure yardage? >

How to figure yardage?

How to figure yardage?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

I am trying to figure out yardage on some quilts I am designing. I have the traditional yardage figured out.

What I am wondering is how do I go about figureing out if someone wants to use one of the predone pkgs - jelly rolls etc how would I figure that?

Keep in mind I use my cut down method so there has to be a bit of leeway on the amt of fabric needed.

I would think it would depend somewhat on the particular "block" ie- Boston Block or Wings Block etc
used in that quilt?

I was thinking that the ones that are strips would work well for making the Bostons and maybe the Wings. I'm not familiar with the Jelly Rolls and Honey Buns etc to know what I am talking about! LOL

I just thought as these are so popular maybe I should try to figure out how to recommend this with the quilt design. I have never used them as I prefer to pick out my own fabrics.

Anyone got any good suggestions on how to figure this out?

I had a lady ask for my advice on yardage and then she was talking about using one of those layer cakes using my short cut methods and I just don't have the experience to answer this.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

a jelly roll strip is 2 1/2" by WOF
a honey bun strip is 1 1/2" by WOF
Layer cakes are 10" X 10"

I think it is a real struggle to figure out yardage LOL You could give them the rotary cutting guide from EQ and then let them compare that to their pre cuts :D:D:D