Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to fill in triangle gaps when going on a diagonal? >

How to fill in triangle gaps when going on a diagonal?

How to fill in triangle gaps when going on a diagonal?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Default How to fill in triangle gaps when going on a diagonal?

I am new to quilting, only doing it for about a year, and I have come across a quilt that I would like to imitate but I am not sure how to do one thing. When making rows based on a diagonal, how do you fill the triangular gaps to make the quilt top square?

Thanks

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-19-2015 at 02:17 AM. Reason: remove copyright image, should have used link
Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Not as hard as you think.

There's special rulers for these.... I think Omnigrid makes one, Fons + porter, etc. Have fun!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:14 PM

Would you just make another disappearing 9 patch square and then use the ruler to cut it in half then sew it into the row?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter has information on her site www.quiltville.blogspot.ca on figuring out setting triangles. She also has great free patterns under the free pattern tab.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by candy_cane2011 View Post
Would you just make another disappearing 9 patch square and then use the ruler to cut it in half then sew it into the row?
Sew it into the row first, then sew the rows together. Trim the jagged edges after sewing the rows together making sure to leave the 1/4 inch seam allowance. If you cut the triangle in half you'll lose your 1/4 inch seam allowance along the outer edge.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 AM

I responded to your PM with details and tutorial links. I didn't use a special ruler, I just used a large square ruler.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
Sew it into the row first, then sew the rows together. Trim the jagged edges after sewing the rows together making sure to leave the 1/4 inch seam allowance. If you cut the triangle in half you'll lose your 1/4 inch seam allowance along the outer edge.
I cut the blocks in half for the triangle units when I made this. I just trimmed the edges of the quilt down before adding the borders. It's so busy, I didn't feel it took away from the look by doing so.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bw-d9p.jpg  
Old 08-19-2015, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

One decision you need to make is whether you want the setting triangles and corner triangles to be a single fabric, or whether you want them to continue the pattern in the rest of the quilt. It's a lot easier to make them out of a single fabric, and I think it's usually more interesting than continuing the block pattern, but it's a design decision. The link below is useful if you're using a single fabric. http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...triangles.html Using the methods shown for corner and setting triangles assures that the edges of the quilt will not have bias edges.

If you want to continue the blocks patterns right to the edge, then the method quiltsRfun suggests is one way to go, possibly the easiest and most intuitive way, but of course you will wind up with almost half of a bunch of blocks that are cut away, and fairly difficult to use in another quilt, plus you will have the dreaded bias edges on your quilt.

In any case, you do need to add the triangles or blocks as you sew each diagonal strip together. If you don't, you will wind up with gaps that require set-in seams.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

You fill the gaps with what are called Setting Triangles. I made this D9P because of the limited blocks I had. There are rulers made just for cutting the correct size. I always make them bigger because it is easier to trim them than to add fabric if you are short.
Attached Thumbnails d9p-point.jpg  
Old 08-19-2015, 05:29 AM

Don't just take a square and cut it once diagonally......you will have bias edges all the way around....could spell disaster for a relatively new quilter. Check out the sites/ways to do setting triangles to do it correctly - the initial block is cut diagonally, but twice on a much larger square, thus giving you a nice straight of grain edge...

Go to your local library and get a few quilt books.......there is usually how to pages in these books tag will also help you....

Last edited by Geri B; 08-19-2015 at 05:34 AM.