Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to finish quilt started by mom?? >

How to finish quilt started by mom??

How to finish quilt started by mom??

Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Ok ya'll, got another little "dilemma" for ya that needs advice. Today my mom gave me a crib-size quilt she started for my grandson a year ago and told me it just needs the binding finished. Well, she does have half the binding done. Problem is she makes beautiful tops but when it comes to the sandwiching, quilting and binding it's ... well.... it just doesn't hold up well for actual use. I am so perplexed as to what I should do with it. It has chenille and flannel on the top, muslin for backing and a very thick batting. I am sure it's the high-loft poly-cotton stuff from wally world. It has only been SITD and edges serged. She rolled all 3 layers over an inch to the back and that was how she was doing the binding. The front has very large areas that are very floppy and loose as there is no quilting other than SITD of the piecing seams. I really want to make this as special as she intended for her first and only GGS but don't want to take away from her "style" either. How can I make this more sturdy and it still be her gift to him? I did already undo the binding she started as it was very thick and uneven. Trimmed up batting and backing to do a front-to-back binding on it which reduced the bulk a ton and makes it look a lot better.
Was thinking of maybe some tiny tacking here and there to secure the layers a bit more..? I don't know, what would you do in this situation? I am gonna make a label for the back that has her as the maker and quilter, as it is hers afterall.

Ugh! Just noticed that some dummy( :oops: ) still don't know how to get the right date on the camera. LoL

Front of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188322[/ATTACH]

Back showing the quilting she did
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188323[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188316.jpe   attachment-188317.jpe  
Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 PM

how about stipling or miandering(sp?)in the large areas
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by mexmmh43
how about stipling or miandering(sp?)in the large areas
She did not baste it very well, just layered and pinned a few pins then stitched it. So there is way too much play in the top to do any type of close quilting. Would have a ton of puckers and loads of pleats. Unless I took it all apart and redid the whole thing. :(
But that was my first thought too.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:17 PM

As it's for a boy, and it really reminds me of hills and meadows, speak to mum about adding some animals or a tractor, and securing it with them.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:17 PM

could you follow the lines 2 inches away--would not be as obviously added
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
As it's for a boy, and it really reminds me of hills and meadows, speak to mum about adding some animals or a tractor, and securing it with them.
Now see, I didn't even think about adding applique to it. He is totally into turtles and cars. Oh and kitties! LoL May have to see what she thinks about that idea. Keep 'em coming, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 PM

If he's totally into cars, then farm machinery can be made biggish, and there's lots of choice. Or trucks, make some roads following the lines already there.
Lots of possibilities. Good luck and let us see how it turns out.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:16 AM

Maybe a kite, frog, snake applique?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by lindyline
I agree. You might even be able to add some quilting like 1.5 -2.0" apart following the curves to give it some definition.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 AM

It's the thought that counts.