Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to flatten out rotary mats??

While Mum moved last week, there were two old rotary mats (we still use them for projects) that got a pook in them on the side. Does anyone out there have any good tried and true methods to get them flat again??

Blog Entries
    i pookified one of my own mats by forgetting it was underneath when i pressed something. after kicking myself a few dozen times, i flattened it back by ironing it again, then quickly stacking big, heavy books on it while it was still warm. i left them there overnight and was relieved to find it was back to normal.

Blog Entries
    OMG - REALLY???? I went out and bought a new mat. :cry:

Thanks for the tips.. It is cold and rainy here today, so they won't be going out in the sun, but I might try the ironing then weighing with books technique!

Well back to unpacking and organizing my sewing room. I FINALLY managed to get all my fabrics (well there are still a few straglers) folded and put away in the cupboards. I'll take photos once it looks a little more presentable!

Cheers!

Using a hairdryer to heat the mat and then putting books on to weight the spot works, too...and might be safer than an iron.

Blog Entries
    Aggi, do you have a 4-legged helper?

My Sadie has now learned the hard way that the sewing room is a dangerous place. She snuck in and fell asleep behind my chair. I rolled back and heard the yelp. (Did I mention that she has long floppy ears?)

I have one that I forgot in the car in the hot sun. Will put it back out in the sun this summer to see if I can get it back to flat. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. Sun caused it, sun could cure it! :?

I have heard the tip of leaving them in the sunshine too. I haven't had to do it yet ( but knowing me I'll need to someday ). Let us know how it works.

Banned
    i used a hair dryer on mine and all my science textbooks :D