Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: how to get chalk off your quilt

Lightbulb how to get chalk off your quilt

Recently someone shared a picture of a beautiful quilt and told how she couldn't get the chalk marks off it. Just yesterday I got together with a couple of friends. One was quilting on my Avante and the other had brought books she'd just gotten in the mail. One of them was a book full of tips from Fons and Porter and as I scanned through it - guess what? There it was - use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!!!!! Since we had marked the quilt with chalk we tried it out (dry) and it worked! The tip suggested dampening it but we did not. Sure hope the maker of that lovely quilt sees this and that it will work for her.

Pat
    Pat

Thanks, that might have been me. Even if it wasn't I did the same thing...and yes the yellow is still in the quilt. I've bee afraid to do anything to it for fear of totally ruining the quilt.

Is it the chalk you are using? I use plain old colored chalk from the stationary dept. It brushes right off ussually.If not a quick wash and it's gone. I do have a problem with it lasting, so I mark areas at a time as I work

Thanks for a good tip! I got one of those Magic erasers recently and thought: now why did I get that?
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I used a blue chalkoner to just quilt the spine of a feather. That blue got stitched right into the quilt. Unluckily for me, it was a customer quilt. She washed it about 4 times...still a faint blue there. It was for her son and she said he would never notice if she didnt' tell him. I won't use that to mark a quilt again. I mostly freehand or use pantos, but I have used a grey/silver chalk pencil with good luck.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I'm using yellow chalk on a dark quilt and the dry Magic Eraser is working well. This is my first marked quilt so I was apprehensive, but it seems okay so far.